The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just added a Tek light 4 bulbs on my 30g and I was wondering what kind of timing on the lights. I googled it but theres not a lot on it.

I know the standard is to run actiniks around an hour before the whites. But the question is why. Does it really have an effect on the corals if the light is progressive or just snaps on full blast.

I know that common sense points the running half power before going full blast. Do any of you know why? its not light they have eyes... do they?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i dont know if it has an effect but it is supposed to be simulating the dawn/dusk effect..i would do 10 hours with all lights on for 8 and actinics 1 hour before and after..-drew

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Timing is a personal choice based on tank inhabitants .I run 10 hours . So I would say 8-12 hours .
Corals and fish need down time as well as us . Without getting into a scientific discussion .To go from 100% bright light to Dark says it all .Just like the discussion over color for night lights.Red vs. Blue . Corals can detect light so if you ask can they see then I would say Yes

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm, yes, common sense seems to prevail, ill check if i can find some scientific material to go on

When you said it depends on the tank inhabitants, what kind of special care were you reffering to?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
hmmm, yes, common sense seems to prevail, ill check if i can find some scientific material to go on

When you said it depends on the tank inhabitants, what kind of special care were you reffering to?
Some corals are photo synthetic and others are not. Some tanks have overgrowth of hair algae and others are well on their way.Having the lights on for 12 hours fuels growth and other issues. The lighting schedule on tanks will be a discussion that goes back and forth forever. Just like what kind of salt to use .My tank has been running for 9 months .I can look at it and all the tank inhabitants and tell you who's happy and who isn't . Based on flow and water quality . When I keep up on water changes (twice a week) I see great growth and happy corals . When I'm busy and can't get to it . My Lawnmower blenny leaves so many presents for me that I need a siphon for all the poop .I can go on and on . All I can say is I love the hobby but you really have to make your own decision based on your tank . Hope it helps :)

·
Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
i run 11 hour cycle...1.5 hours actinics in the "morning" (which is 11:30a for my tank) then daylights come on for 8 hours, turning off at 9p leaving my acitnics on for another 1.5 hours.

HTH

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Mine goes like this.
11:00am actnic goes on.
11:05am moon go off.
12:00pm 10K go on.
10:00pm 10K go off
10:55pm moon go on
11:00pm actinic go off.

·
Registered
685 Posts
anyone tried the sunset / sunrise with aquacontroller ? they have it for every day in a year different. even with moon Intense lighting. I'm just trying in right now. I like the lunar module. you can actually see different intesity of the Led lights.

·
Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
sounds pretty sweet reefandfish...i am just stoked that i have the timer built into my fixture, but if i had a more realistic simulation of the shifting length of days and moon phases that would be pretty sweet. is that a separate controller or built in to your fixture?

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
I think biowheel said it best, it really depends on your inhabitants. Since we never have clouds or storms that reduce the sunlight, many reefers have found that running the lights a little less helps their corals grow better and have better colors. It also depends on what types of corals you have. All corals need to be acclimated to new lighting, so you might start for the first few weeks with the full lighting only on for about 6 or so hours, and the actinics an extra hr before and after. You can then add an hour or so every 3 or 4 weeks and you will quickly find the point where your corals are getting too much light, then cut back. I have a primarily sps system and mine seem to do best with about 7 hrs of the full 6 lights, and an extra 2 hrs. of the actinics (actully Blue+). When I run them longer the corals start looking washed out and have less polyp extension and slower growth. There's others that find their corals do best with only 4 or 5 hrs, so you need to test and see what ends up working.

·
Registered
685 Posts
well the simulation is good except sunrise usually starts at 7:00 to 7:30 and sunset is about 12 hours later so the tank would be on only for short time at night. for me it wouldn't be a problem since I worked nights but if you come home at 6:00 pm and there are actinics on already for next 30 mins and after that you can see tank only under moon lights, that kind of sucks ... so right now I'm sticking only to the moon cycles.

Nice thing would be if you could change the tables and add lets say 3 hours to each time that way it would start and end 3 hours later but it would be the same length. but for some reason those tables are not editable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts