The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,356 Posts
So you are saying that you shouldn't overskim and by using a Red Sea you won't? The reason a lot of skimmers are better is based on the 2 factors that make foam fractionation work, surface area and contact time. Surface area is achieved through introducing more air and more importantly smaller bubbles. With the move toward needle wheels and now mesh wheels, the voulme of air as well as the amount of air injected into the skimmer body has drastically increased. As far as contact time, one way they have improved this is to use recirculation pumps so the water air mixture is taken out, chopped up again with even more air and then reinjected.

I have a Red Sea Berlin as well that is used on quarantine tanks or in a pinch and it is pretty modified, but it is not efficient enough to use on my display. For that I was using a becket style Precision marine Bullet and now a Euroreef 12-1 that was meshmodded.

· Registered
1,356 Posts
Salifert test kits, Calibration fluids for pH meters, refractometers. A few lines of external pumps to go along with the powerheads like some Iwaki, Pan World, Little Giant, Sequence, ect. Maybe some TEK or aquatinics T5 fixtures (something with individual reflectors). Also nice to have basic plumbing supplies like bulkheads for those emergencies.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.