The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Bubble Algae Warrior
6,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into some stuff to suggest we carry at work for products, we have mostly API and Wardley stuff.... we have no reef additives, no salt water meds, and we don't have a line of SW foods other than Sally's Frozen (which is great stuff)....

I was hoping to pick some brains and get suggestions, if my work were YOUR LFS, what would you like them to carry for dry goods? SOmething i could do a bit of research on and then make suggestions and see if we can carry them... also on a selfish note, i'd like to have them available to me as well so i don't have to go online for everything when after all i do work at a LFS! :doh:

Suggestions, please...

From foods, to additives, to filters and their refills, substrates ....stuff that a medium sized pet store could really offer.

· Bubble Algae Warrior
6,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone! I figured i ought to do something about what we carry in-store cause when i get questions i find myself recommending or suggesting stuff and then turning around and saying, but we don't carry it :(, but then i tell them "yet, but i'm working on it"...
but, then...nobody else local carries it either....:doh:

i'll put it all in a list and do some extra research and submit it and see how it goes, if i can at least get some other substrate in the store other than CC, that will be one small victory. :D

· Bubble Algae Warrior
6,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ice, do you work for an independent or a chain or franchise?

Jenn
we have a small handful of locations in this state only and they were owned by a hubby and wife who started it all by themselves, so i guess you could call it a small chain... the hubby and wife just recently sold the businesses to one person... so its still technically local ownership, but we have new owner and GM. its not totally impersonal, but we also don't have a nervous owner breathing down our necks :)

We are in the middle of some changes and the new GM is changing suppliers and we are going to be able to offer much more in the way of special orders (if we don't stock it, we'll try to find it and get it for customers), and it seems like there will be a broader selection now, so i really want to make sure we get the good stuff to fill the shelves.

· Bubble Algae Warrior
6,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
How long have your tests been sitting around? API warns that the shelf life of these products is limited.
IME api test results go wonky well before their printed expiration date...

i did a test on my tap water one day and got an amazing level of ammonia reading... :lol:

i was like, woo....time to get a new one!

· Bubble Algae Warrior
6,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The main complaint I have about AP tests is the basic bundled test kit that most people make the mistake of buying - the one that does pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.
i think thats the one i had, but the FW kit.... i thought it had an exp date printed on the bottles, but i may have it mixed with something else. but yeah, at any rate, it started to have really strange results quite shortly after buying it. and i stored it away properly, cool, dry place, no direct sun or fluxing temps and caps replaced tight....

· Bubble Algae Warrior
6,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ice - to steer this thread back on topic and make it constructive -- How open minded is the new GM? Are they likely to stick with what's tried and true, or are they willing to take it up a notch?
i'm not aware that he knows much about fish...i mean, if he does, i have not heard about it (not to insult the guy unknowingly). It dosen't seem to be his area of interest... i'm hoping to maybe fill the void, or at least make sure my favorite area isn't forgotten or plowed under. Between me and another girl (who is really into cichlids) we've been trying to get the fish department dusted off a bit and polished up, its been a while since anyone has really taken a serious interest in it.

· Bubble Algae Warrior
6,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Yes, we have LOTS and LOTS of sweaters for dogs.... kinda silly to wear a sweater over a fur coat, but its all the rage on planet woof.....LOL

it is the unfortunate part of a full line pet store, but we do seem to have at least one person who is great in each section, and in this location, we are lucky to have fellow employees who actually do care about the 'livestock' we have. this isn't the case by far in most places.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.