The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

12,311 Posts
The comparison comes from the ability to be able to pull out ten times as much junk(thats being generous, its probably actually more).

For instance. If you had a berlin airlift skimming well it should fill up that little cup at LEAST once a day with light tea colored liquid. or more a day. :)

I actually use one of those little berlin airlifts still on a frag tank, and for what it is, its great. But i have next to no bioload in the tank in question.

12,311 Posts
Pulling out all of this "stuff" is not nessesaraly a good thing, that is one does not want things such as phytoplankton to be removed, and it does get removed, one would like it suspended in an aquarium pelagically like what happens in the ocean. I think that skimmers like yours would be unhealth for my aquarium inhabitants as a GaLLON a day is a bit much, right?
I dont think so. I do all of my water changes through my skimmers, and on my 225 DSB tank and pull out between a gallon and a gallon and a half a day.

On my BB tank i dont skim quite so agressively. Its a 90 and i pull out 1/2 gallon a day.

You can follow the link in my sig to see how unhealthy the tanks look from all of this skimming. I feed my tanks nothing besides homemade food for the fish, calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.

To be sure, ,many ways to skin a cat in this hobby and a skimmer ISNT a necessary piece of equipment to have a happy healthy reef. But quality water is, and a good skimmer can help tremendously in this regard.

To keep this thread on track....:)......I think it is a good idea for any LFS to keep a couple high dollar skimmers in stock. Many people prefer to buy locally and you might as well capitolize on it. And even if it isnt the exact skimmer someone wants, they at least know you can get the right size for them as a similar one is already on your shelf.

12,311 Posts
I dont understand why there is so much argument here either.

Nothing personal intended at all......but point blank- API sucks, and red sea berlin airlift skimmers suck. And neither should ever be recommended to anyone who wants to do well in this hobby.

Anyone who has any experience in this hobby, with any tests or equipment other than them knows both of those things firsthand as FACT.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.