The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since I'm waiting to acquire and set up my new 90 gal tank I went ahead and set up my old 30 gal. I cleaned up all my old live rock (now base rock) and I'm looking for a couple pieces of nice live rock to seed it all and a cup of live sand or so to jumpstart the sand bed.

Whats the best LFS in the area to get a couple good pieces of live rock and a bit of live sand? Proximity to Hastings is nice and cost isn't as important as quality. I've only visited the Richfield shops and frankly what I saw for liverock wasn't anything to write home about. Any recommendations that are close to Hastings? Maybe it would be best to call somewhere and find out when they get their next shipment in and be there the next day to get better quality rather then after its been all picked over.

Todd

·
Registered
384 Posts
well Ihtought the LR I saw in SF was great, but you said it was not, so I have nothing to offer you...tyler got a piece there for 4 dollars, it was a 1/2# piece covered with mushrooms

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might have just been when I was there. I imagine that the better quality stuff goes relatively fast. It all looked like base rock to me. I'll go have another look.

·
Cyclone Reef
74 Posts
They got a new batch in the other day. It looks pretty good. I also bought some from World of Fish. It had a lot of coraline on it.

Talk to Dirk, he has some really nice rock andhis prices are excellent. His shop is in Redwing.

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
For live sand I would talk to Cruehead... last I saw he had tons of it. The last bit I got from him I think may have had a serpent sea star or something similar in it that I never noticed, until a coulple months down the road (a couple nights ago.) He is selling it for a $1 a lbs or $2 a lbs. It is pretty good stuff. I would just send him a pm.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I grabbed one smaller rock from Something Fishy yesterday with some purple coralline. Nothing else on it but a small bit of purple coralline and that was the best we could find. At nearly $10 a pound it seemed a lot for a bit of coralline. But I've got a few spores in the tank at least!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Todd -- As you know, the coralline will spread in a few weeks/months. I've purchased all my rock from Something Fishy, and most of it was white when I brought it home. I now have coralline everywhere.

I look more for unique shapes than anything else, and they almost always have nice unique-looking pieces of Marshall Island and/or Tonga. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Ben!

I went over to Ben's this evening and grabbed the live sand/gravel. I must say you have some very nice tanks! Its nice to see all your boys into the hobby as well.

Sand is in and I can see a few critters already making their way out. A few empty snail shells have some coralline on so a few more spores into the system as well.

Oh, and the club weed, the infamous Xenia has made it into my tank care of Ben. Thanks again!

Todd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.