The Reef Tank banner

What's living in your sump?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Buzz_Hog 
#1 ·
Well, for one reason or another, I think most of us have a creature or two living in our sump... whether it be from sliding down the overflow waterslide or being banished to a makeshift prison for picking on our desirable tank species.
So, out of curiosity, what's living in your sump?
I only have two critters in mine... a Hairy Rock Crab that came in with my live rock 5 months ago, and an Asiatica Cowry that developed a fondness for the taste of Xenia. Although they've been banished to the sump, they actually do a good job picking up the bits of food and detritus that find their way down there during feeding time, and the cowry does such a good job cleaning the sponges/diatoms off the glass that I haven't had to thoroughly clean the sump yet...
I just thought this would be a fun question for a Friday afternoon, and figured people would have some good stories to tell.
I guess refugiums also count for this question, since they seem to collect just as many wayward critters. :)

#7 ·
That's pretty funny Dave! :D
I really like the cowry, but unfortunately he was sold to me as being 'reef safe'... I guess that is if you don't have any reef creatures it likes to eat. :)
Unfortunately it started going after my Xenia, which was a huge no-no... they were pretty much the reason I started a reef in the first place. I just love the way they pulse.

#9 ·
i havea leopard cowrie. it's about 4" long. that thing is awesome! i love it. he does a great job on the glass. if you have ever seen a cowrie eating on the glass, you'll know why i affectionaly call mine crotch face

as for my sump.well, i've got the same as dave, add in a few ants as well. and lots of sawdust :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.