The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is what i got.

- The reason for the Loop i want anemones in my thank this time i lost too many with powerheads.

Now the main air channel Drain will be 2" in diameter to suppliment the two loop feed under the exterior 5"x5" x 30" flow box.Ok guys i say this in all friendship for those who want to suggest powerheads for power saving, lets say that for me power is free, and not an issue, so help build it thank you.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The pump

I was told to choose a far more powerfull pump than i really need for moving water incase of changes of plans or ajustment and etc.. so i chose one with a great price for the power;

Poseidon Blue Line Velocity Series Velocity Pump T3

This Blue Line External Water Pump is the exact equivalent of the Poseidon PS3.
The worlds quietest and only titanium centrifugal pumps.
Pump Curve Ratio Stats:
Model Velocity T3
Max Head 28′ MAX HEAD
Flow 850gph @ 0′
In 3/4″ MPT
Out 3/4″ MPT
Watts 140 WATTS
Pressure Rated: Yes
Includes Drive Magnetic Shaft with Impeller

NO LONGER AVAILABLE

·
Registered
638 Posts
You picked a great pump, but you might want to look for other options as I dont think you will have much luck finding one. Follow those links you sent to the end…..out of stock. I dont think that pump is manufactured anymore. Unfortunate.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You picked a great pump, but you might want to look for other options as I dont think you will have much luck finding one. Follow those links you sent to the end…..out of stock. I dont think that pump is manufactured anymore. Unfortunate.
Oh Why would they still advertise something they don't manufacture anymore? Specially if its good.:lookaround: So what do you think of the rest of the plan, curious...lol

·
Registered
638 Posts
From the drawing it looks as if there is only 1 pump for return and cls. IF this is the case I think it wont work like you want. You want a small return pump that pushes just the flow you want through your sump. No need to get a powerfull pump…go for reliability on this one. The reason for a closed loop is to allow all the flow you want without all that having to go through the sump and through your overflow(there are limits that are easily reached…then flood). Then you need a powerfull pump for the cls with the intake coming from the display, not the sump) this way regardless of the cls flow there will be no flood risk IN=OUT.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool remarks thanks

From the drawing it looks as if there is only 1 pump for return and cls. IF this is the case I think it wont work like you want. You want a small return pump that pushes just the flow you want through your sump. No need to get a powerfull pump…go for reliability on this one. The reason for a closed loop is to allow all the flow you want without all that having to go through the sump and through your overflow(there are limits that are easily reached…then flood). Then you need a powerfull pump for the cls with the intake coming from the display, not the sump) this way regardless of the cls flow there will be no flood risk IN=OUT.

Ahhhh Thanks never though of it like that, ok a small one for the return. And the powerfull one for the loop. Cool thanks. The reason for my concept was directed by someone who wanted me to mix the two together at first, who said forget the loop keep your desing but with the lack of feed from my drain...the pump would of dried out, so we added the feeds to the loop defeating the purpouse i guess. Back to square one ,lol. Ok thanks for the suggestion. So i'll keep the design just add a smaller pump in the sump for the return , reduce the drain pipe to one inch instead and direct my loop feeds still to the powerfull pump, now its going to be a
Blueline 30 HD External Water Pump by Pan World

- Inlet: 3/4" MPT
- Outlet: 3/4" MPT
- Max Total Head (FT): 16.5
- Max Discharge (GPH) @ 0ft: 590
- Input (W): 90
- Length(in): 10
- Width(in): 4
- Height(in): 5

The velocity is no longer available.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I got the reefflo blowhole 1450. It supports the high head that is needed to push eductors for extra flow. The thing is dead silent. There is now a bigger version. the other good thing is they have three speeds selectable with a switch.
http://www.aquacave.com/Reeflo-BlowHole-BH-2700-3-Speed-External-Water-Pump-P3946.aspx

If you want to simplify you could have your return pump be a simple submerged pump. Just drop it in the sump and hook it to the return line.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the reefflo blowhole 1450. It supports the high head that is needed to push eductors for extra flow. The thing is dead silent. There is now a bigger version. the other good thing is they have three speeds selectable with a switch.
http://www.aquacave.com/Reeflo-BlowHole-BH-2700-3-Speed-External-Water-Pump-P3946.aspx

If you want to simplify you could have your return pump be a simple submerged pump. Just drop it in the sump and hook it to the return line.
Here is another product that will make your life ALOT easier during this build. I cant say how much time and how many plumbing parts and trips to homedepot it will save you.
http://www.marinedepot.com/1_Inch_I...Plumbing_Parts-FT1383-FIFTTUFP-FT1385-vi.html

Your a genius man you know that don't you if not you just been told. WOW i was going for spawflex but this is even better. What kind of cement you use for this.

·
Registered
638 Posts
They say just regular old pvc cement. I used it and it worked great. Not one leak. Thats the first time i have been able to say that.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so on my plan if i get this pump ; Pan World 100PX-X Magnetic Water Pump <TABLE class=aquarium_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">100PX-X</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">1270gph</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">13'</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">130W</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">1" MPT / 1" MPT</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">10.5"x4"x5.5"</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=aquarium_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">100PX-X</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">1270gph</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">13'</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">130W</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">1" MPT / 1" MPT</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">10.5"x4"x5.5"</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=aquarium_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">100PX-X</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">1270gph</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">13'</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">130W</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">1" MPT / 1" MPT</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">10.5"x4"x5.5"</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<LI id=mf162>
Max Flow: 1270 GPH

<LI id=mf163>Max Head: 13 Ft <LI id=mf164>1” Inlet(MPT)/ 1” Outlet(MPT) <LI id=mf165>130 watts
Would i still be able to use the Ultraflex. I would have to use i bit bigger than 1" then.

My Loop fed by the skimmer's 2"drain would be supplemented by two other feeds in the back walls with strainers; i don't like the idea of a bottom one with a sand storm blowing in my pump( which is not covered in any waranties by the way) . Beside i can think of other thing i want on my snad bed other than that so the back wall will be the home of those two feeds. 1 " each should be ok right? ((( This is where i get mixed up, i know i have a 1" inlet and 1" outlet , and for the life of me i get so mess up with the joining of the tank and the pump its no joke. ))))

Ok here's the plan again.

Ok this is the main 2" drain going to the skimmer,a Reef Octopus Extreme Diablo XS 225 forget the other holes only one , the box will be 30" long, 5" deep and wide. The overflow will be coast to coast.

The coast to coast will be more like this one.

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
The closed loops will have to be on a single level to avoid the possibility of flooding. I would just go with powerheads for your top level.

The panworld 100PX. Is that for a return pump or closed loop?

Going to be a sweet setup when running.

Also, you may want to consider having the top shelf drain all the way to the sump so the system runs in a parallel configuration. Depending on what you have up top, it could be a more efficient filtration method. I did this with my 260g and my 55g builds.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I ran a closed loop on my 100G for the first 6 years but found the power it consumed versus the flow it added was not worth the expense. A couple propeller pumps like MP's, Tunzes or Evolutions and their controller or the wavemaker function on my Reefkeeper Lite is much more energy efficient drawing less than 10 measured watts versus 68 watts with the closed loop and I get 4-5 x the flow with a more random pattern. I also placed the Oceans Motions Squirt two way on my return pump so it alternates back and forth out of the two returns too for even more random flows.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Loop intakes

Ok for my loop intakes 2 X 1" tubing should be ok i guess if i'm using that pump.... I just have a question that came to mind. That overflow box i just mentioned with the three holes, and i said i was using only one 2" hole.

Could i just use the other 2 holes at 1" to feed my closed loop, that way i don't have to redrill the tank, the openings are protected againts sand, snails and debris would that work, would i make them syphon??? Would i have to make the box bigger, for the demand.

If not it would go like this , the lower part that is, two 1" converging.

So if The size of my pipe or Flex is wrong , please tell me thank you, i'm so lame at this. Here's an example at what i'm good at.

Underwater scultures

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice work on the rock had a great look.
That rock work looks great. We need details of how you did it.
I guess i'll have to start a new thread then hey lol. I've got about 400 pictures of that project i'll have to skimm a bit, that was my old tank that exploded on me sort of speek. Anyway are my calculation or numbers alright ??Or do they need ajusting. Meanwhile, i'll go dig up more of those oldies you find facinating lol.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Framing

I made 2 sculptures and one back panel that served as the return as well. The pump was actually connected to the panel via holed pvc tubings to ensured flow behind the panel and the rockwork at the end.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts