The Reef Tank banner
4K views 61 replies 14 participants last post by  200g+guy 
#1 ·
i was wanting to do a 750 with sharks what lights should i use with it if i get it?

#3 ·
Are you going to throw any corals in there?? I think that will be the kicker as far as how you light it. Some ricordia and some carnivorous LPS I think would do well and look sweet if you provided the approriate lighting.

What are the dimensions of the tank and what kind of shark??

#6 ·
if you get a tank that size, there arent any sharks that would be happy in it, they may survive, but no matter what any other site says, sharks just need more room than any home aquarium can give. you can keep a puppy in a cage all its life, but do you really wanna?

either way, corals need light, not sharks, so just enough light to view it would be all you need.

#27 · (Edited)
if you get a tank that size, there arent any sharks that would be happy in it, they may survive, but no matter what any other site says, sharks just need more room than any home aquarium can give. you can keep a puppy in a cage all its life, but do you really wanna?

either way, corals need light, not sharks, so just enough light to view it would be all you need.
I agree with this 100%.

Lets see how you would feel if you were shoved in a closet all your life? In nature, sharks are contantly moving around, and In my oppinion, It should be illegal to keep any shark in a home aquarium because almost no aquarists can meet all of their demands.

#8 ·
um... cat sharks get bigger than you may think... plus the filtration you will need is gonna be big. sharks are dirty so be ready. lights don't matter if it is just fish. 750 can hold something, but i am not so sure about a shark. I studied them a ton when i was looking at doing one in a 300 and trust me, it is not that easy.

#11 ·
I'm no shark expert but I think the bamboo sharks are one of the smaller species. Anyway I've read that they cannot have a tank with corners and really just need open space to move around in. As far as lighting it depends on the dimensions of the tank, but Normal Output flouresents lights are enoungh for FO.

#12 ·
you do realise that these things grow over 3.5 feet long? they need to be able to turn around in the tank to be happy and in the end it is not always about the room. the water volume to effeciently filter out the toxins and waste these sharks produce has to be high.

how much research have you done on them?

#13 ·
Something to consider and I will bow out of this thread. Sharks need space. Not a box, not a big box. Just because some one else did it doesn't mean its okay for others to do it. Just because a site that sells them says a 180 is good doesn't make it fact. What are they trying to do, make happy homes? No, they are trying to make happy owners of the site. They are a shark. Something 4 feet wide is squat to them. That's like saying all you need as a human is a room 40 feet long and 8 feet wide. Sound like a good place to spend your life?Sharks roam by nature. The size of your tank is small for a shark, even the one you are speaking of.
I'm not trying to beet you up or disrespect you but as someone who collects rare fish, as it says in your profile, I would assume that you would have vast amounts of knowledge of these animals. Knowledge that goes beyond something gotten off of one web site. i would also assume that you care for these animals far beyond their value as a specimen to look at. How big of an area do they cover in the wild? What types of problems are they prone to in captivity? What is the lifespan in captivity in a small tank like what you are speaking of? What would a person need to have on hand to give them the care they require if they get sick? Do you have this? These are not fish of the normal type. They have issues all their own.
i understand the desire to have them, and I also understand how you may feel with everyone being against your plan. It would seem that you are not wanting to hear what is being said by people who have obviously been in this type of discussion before.
Take how you want to but I'm not slamming you or disrespecting you but it would be a good idea to listen up. When one person says something its easy to dismiss. When two people say no big deal, when three or more say it you should pay attention. that holds for anything.
My opinion and I'm sure you will do as you choose.

#14 ·
like i said, sure, you can keep one in a tank that size, but why? can you live in a bathroom for your whole life? YES! would it suck! YES! think of this thing as a creature that wants to be happy, not some kewl trophy you wanna keep in your living room, give it what it needs to be happy, not just survive.

#29 ·
Wow, two big reef tanks! I have a hard enough time convincing my wife to let me have just one :doh: :funny: . Anyway, if you've got the space and money, then go for it! I do feel like you're limiting yourself a bit cause we all know that the sharks WILL outgrow the tank eventually. At that point, you have some tough decisions to make. I'm guessing the 750 gallon tank is gonna be a custom acrylic? personally, I think it would be a really cool build thread - I haven't seen anyone set up a tank like that on TRT yet. Go ahead and start a thread on that, I think the lighting is not going to be all that important since you only need enough light to see the sharks. The important system will be filtration. What are you're plans for filtration? I think you mentioned a 200 gallon sump (which is a monster sump!) and 90 gallon refugium. I would drop the refuge, sharks don't eat copepods and it would only serve as a sink for waste.

#23 · (Edited)
200g+guy: After reading your posts for the few months you have been around, I have noted a pattern to your threads. It seems as though you ask questions that are outside the realm of the norm. You seem to get frustrated and flame some people for asking clarifying questions and then get just as upset when you get solid, appropriate advice.

Now I too may be new to The Reef Tank, but I have been keeping reef tanks, namely large ones for a number of years. I'm not an expert, but I am very comfortable giving advice on equipment. When I got frustrated by the flaming on other sites, I came here and enjoyed the relaxing environment, compiled with caring people who give quality advice.

At first I tried to help you and in a way I felt as though when I asked clarifying questions you took the "I've been doing this for years and I know all" approach to the responses. Some of your posts contradict themselves and some of what you claim to have is easily disproven by science. I don't want to go into a ton of detail but here are just a few statements from your 118 posts on TRT:

"well i have a 300 and a 250 (reefs)"

"and some of yall are saying that my 750 isnt going to be enough "

"i was wanting to do a 750 "

"90 gallon tank with every thing"

"every thing you need fish pumps filter stand lights every thing
for 700 less than 6 months old
will trade for a 100 gallon plus with stand and canopy"

"the pump is on my 300 i needed the pump because i wanted to do a tank that had a buch or high flow corals but were talking bout my 500 i have a lot of tanks (hint the cheesy name 200g+guy) but the... "

" have 4 400 watt metal halide over a 500 with 6 vho 130 each "

"o well can you give me a list of what i need to make on like yours for a 300 gallon "

its great i use it for my 300 gallon but instant ocean is the best by far "

"i have a 250 just fish can i buy your shark from you? "

Now this is only one of the many inconsistencies in your posts. Now I don't want to start a flame war… I'm simply asking that if you want to contribute to TRT, please do, but keep it a friendly site with an emphasis on proper husbandry and honesty in the hobby. Please quit flaming people for a difference in opinion and respect those that are here.

I hope I'm not out of line here, but I like helping people learn about the hobby and unfortunately I feel your posts are counter-productive toward those just starting out in the hobby.

#25 ·
Two of my LFS near my place sells sharks. don't know what kind they are just that they are sharks and they do sell them. the ones that i have seen are about 12 to 16 inches long from tip of nose to tip of tail.

I would like one but yeah no space.

If space is a concern you should talk to reefzilla. I hear that he is selling his house with a built in 17,000 gallon tank (Mini Ocean).

Not trying to poke fun. but hey if size is really a mater.

And I keep trying to tel my wife size doesn't mater. Gosh how am i going to handle this one?

#26 ·
Sorry just trying to lighten up the converstion up a little.

About the light problem.....

heck no corals just shark. any light that you feel is suficient enough for you to see all the way to the back of the tank.

How many sides is this tank going to be viewed from????

I would say since you don't really need MH's or T-5's, Just go with regular T-12 shop lights like the ones that you see at like some of the Sam's club's where a group of about 8 or 10 are grouped together as on fixture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.