The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Museum reefkeeper
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need ideas for a hospital tank that I have to start cycling NOW for moving in 2 months (didn't get much notice). I work in a museum, so I can put fish, liverock and anemones here while I setup and cycle main 150g tank on display.

Would you ;
a) buy a slightly smaller acrylic fish tank and use that?
b) buy a black rubbermaid 100 gal tub? (cheaper? dark walls keep stress down???)
c) buy a collapsible 150 g. tank from koivet.com (it has a window on side) and use tubs inside to keep from scuffing the bottom?
other ideas?????

thanks-
Leslie
(p.s. am I wrong that it will take 2 months to cycle?):read:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
'bump'

IMO - purschase another tank for a 'hospital' tank. You'll have to keep parameters in check with the tank that you will be using.

Cycling is a personal preference and you'll get a lot of different responses on the length. IMO - a minimum of two months. It will depend on what you start with and what your parameters are throughout the cycle.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
you can make it through a cycle in two months, the only problem is it wouldnt be wise to add everything at once to a newly cycled tank.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
I'd just get a big rubber maid tub. Cheaper, yet still functional.

Make sure it's a thick one though...150gals is a lot of weight.

Couple heaters, PH, and hook a skimmer up, and viola...

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
You could get a Rubbermaid stock tank. I just ordered one yesterday from my local feed store - $222 with tax for a 300-gallon one. They come in 70, 100, 150, 200 (I think) and 300 g sizes.

They look like this:

HTH

Jenn

·
Museum reefkeeper
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oops

Hi all-
Thank you for your advice. One more question about the "hospital" tank, which I should have called "quarantine" or "holding" tank more appropriately.
Does THAT one have to be cycled for 2 months? I have a nice guy from one of those tank maintenance companies that says I can setup a tub/ tank in my new "lab" and move everything (current water, rock, fish- I have no corals) in there in one evening, and just run it BB for the 2 months or longer that it will take for the museum to open the location for the permanent tank. Do you think that will work? I have been reading the wonderful threads called "how to go bare bottom, and how to cook your rock" (by Geoff???). I can start cooking 1/2 of it now, and have that ready by my move date of October 1st ....or 15th (they keep changing it on me). Then I'll cook the other half and add later.
THEN I can properly cycle the main tank for 2 months.

Im hoping you say that I can just move them in to temp. quarters-and keep them there 2 months because the museum has given me less than a month to move. (my "lab is still not ready!) Nice, eh? But i'll take the bad news too.

Thanks for you time and care!

Leslie:wavey:

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
You can... but make sure you don't disturb the sand bed. Use as much of your current water as you can an make sure you also have 50+ gallons of mixed water on the side. I am glad your going to cook the rock, it should really help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts