The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got this 120 sitting next to my computer desk, and it's been here for over 2 months just running water. it's got about 120lbs of sand. And 120lbs of LR that was curing for 2 months before I got it and has been in my tank for 2 months now.

I don't have good lighting yet, so no corals, but eventually, I would like to get better lights and start keeping corals. In the mean time, I'm tired of having this boring box of water sitting here. I want a fish.

I don't know what all I want in the tank... I've toyed with a couple wrasse and doing a wrasse only, but I'm afraid that might be a little too hard to keep them from tearing each other apart. I've thought about a trigger. I've also thought about just doing a larger community of smaller fish. fairy wrasse, percs, etc. I've not really made up my mind on anything. So I think I'm just going to kind of let the tank lead the way.

So with that said... what would be the first fish you'd put in? I'm just looking for opinions, and thoughts that might kickstart some ideas in my own noodle.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
How about 20 damsels? :lol:

I would definatly start with the least aggressive fish that you have on your list.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Maybe a clownfish or blenny/ goby.
Tangs come later because they need well established tanks, at least 6 months.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
20 damsels would almost be cool. Certainly a lot more affordable too. And wouldn't be such a big deal when one bit it. lots to choose from even. The thought has actually crossed my mind more than once.

The idea of putting in the least aggressive on my list first only has one flaw... I have no list.

I know, I know... I should. I just don't. I don't know what I want to put in this tank... I want to put it all in here... I want wrasse, a trigger, a blue ring octopus, a great white, and a little sparkly plastic castle... But I know that that's not really possible. So rather than locking into anything, I thought I'd just see where it took me. But if I never start, it can't take me anywhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you thought about a snowflake eel? They are really cool to keep. And pretty hardy. Just have to make sure the tank is sealed up tight. The have a tendency to find escape hatches. I used to have a Snowflake, Picasso Trigger and Tomato Clown in a Pent tank. Always wanted to set up an agressive tank. Triggers and larger angels.

The damsels idea has always appealed to me too. Making 2 or 3 schools of different damsels. Of course your probably asking for a gang war then.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I vote for a nice clown or pair of clowns they are pretty hardy not too expensive and will work with most corals you may get down the road.

If you want corals one day , don't get a non reef safe fish ?

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
oh man, a 120g box of boring water, for 2 months? That would literally kill me! I'm one of those impatient ones! I'd have had that sprarkly castle in there first thing! :D
Well, if it was my tank and it's not.... I'd have a volitan lion and an angel of some sort... I love those lions! Then some sort of bottom hugging critter... and a batfish! lol! Yeah I know, but I can dream.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i would do a ton of small community fish, so once you get corals, seeing a fish is like an extra treat, get 7 or so blue/green chromis, have a nice school, a couple royal grammas, chevron tang, couple different wrasses, like a yellow coris, sixline, fairy, couple different clowns, some larger stuff like triggers and such later, your options are limitless.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat here. I've had a 110 sitting here with nothing but a Nassarius snail and a crab that hitchiked for about a month and a half. I finally got sick of thinking about all of the money I've got tied up in it and went and bought a redspotted hawkfish. I'd been eyeing him at the LFS for the past two weeks. I intend to eventually get a yellow tang and some sort of trigger.:) :fish:

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
My next tank will be a predator tank. I am thinking a black volitan lion, trigger, puffer, snowflake eal, and maybe a star. I am still in the research stage and the eal will probably be last so that the others can grow. From what I have heard as long as the fish is bigger than the mouth it should be fine. I really like the predator tanks!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
I'd get more Live Rock at least 60 but more like 100 -120lbs more to have a full filter tank!and let it cycle!

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
i say no to the damsels( i know it was a joke) and no the percs right now.
clowns can be very picky with all other fish if they are introduced first.
figure out what lighting you want to have and what type of corals you want or will go with the lighting you are thinking about getting. Also think and look at the different bio type set up and who lives in that type.
when looking at the various fish, also look at the sixe they can become when adults. make sure they can live happy in the tank.
is there enough swimming ( open space ) for someof the larger fish who really need it?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I know they sell these invert specials where u get 50 crabs and 50 snails and some other inverts...
That mgiht be cool,
Then again can you add that much to the tank all at once ???? (bioload)

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Inverts don't add much if anything to the bioload but they are sensitive to ammonia and nitrite so make sure those levels are 0 before adding anything

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I get around to doing corals, I like things that flow... so Even though some SPS are flat out gorgeous, I tend to shy away from them.

I haven't decided what type of lighting I'm going to do... I've been looking at some things with T-5's. I really like the way they turned out on my 60 reef upstairs, and they're so much cooler than MH.

For those of you who say add more rock... that's boring! The 120lbs I have is already hard enough to find enough spots for. I like the way it looks now because it's not stacked up against any glass.

I think I like the idea of starting with a school of chromis. Nice and peaceful, lots of motion, and good hardy buggers. Oh, and they're cheap! :) Chromis were high on my list of wants anyway, so I think they'll be a good starting place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts