The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 gallon tank I originally setup as a softie tank, but due to all the problems with my 50 (the SPS tank) my softies got moved out and my 15 is now the holding tank for all my SPS and will probably remain an SPS tank now, because I setup another tank to hold my softies.

As a result of this, lighting and flow were picked with softies in mind, not stonies :doh: .

Corals are doing good,... but I don't think they have enough light and I am worried this could eventually pose a problem, especially to some of the higher light acros. (STN, RTN as they are in there a while)

Lighting is currently 2*55W PC bulbs, both 10K, a PAR of about 120 PPFD (LUX of around 8,000) measured in the highest light areas. Tank demention is 24-12-12.

I have a 250W MH I am not using, it would be no problem to put it in, and adjust it's hight until I see a PAR of 200-300 or so, but I kind of don't want to mess with it because things are doing ok right now.

What would you do?, continue to use lighting you know is probably not enough for what you have (but wait and see), or upgrade and take the chance of changing things in a tank where nothing is dieing now?

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leonardo's Reef said:
Is the MH a pendant? Maybe you can hang it very high and in time slowly lower it to the surface to allow corals to get used to it...

-Leonardo
Yes, I could certainly acclimate this way, I have a light meter so I could make sure to acclimate slowly. It's not a pendant but I would take the top off the hood and use a jig to mount the light high to start, and eventually move it down until it is inside the hood.

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike O'Brien said:
I'd give them the light, just acclimate them slowly. You know they need more then the PC's are going to provide.
Ya I know they need more than they are getting, but it is allot harder to mess with something that appears to be working at the moment, that is why I started the thread. I want to see what others would do.

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Registered
363 Posts
I seriously doubt the coral's will die or anything due to the PC's. I've grown an acro or two under 65 watt LOA light's. I just think you've found what alot of other's have found. Just getting coral's that are doing bad to a different tank cause a turnaround. I think it has more to do with something that was in the other tank. Who know's what it was, but it's not in the small tank. At this point if they are doing good in there I can't see improving the condition's being a bad thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are going to have the tank remain an SPS tank I would def. get the halide on them(just slowly, like you said). Maybe try light filtering techniques so you do not have to cut up the hood.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike O'Brien said:
I seriously doubt the coral's will die or anything due to the PC's. I've grown an acro or two under 65 watt LOA light's. I just think you've found what alot of other's have found. Just getting coral's that are doing bad to a different tank cause a turnaround. I think it has more to do with something that was in the other tank. Who know's what it was, but it's not in the small tank. At this point if they are doing good in there I can't see improving the condition's being a bad thing.
Ya, I think I did something really stupid with the 50 and it bit me hard, this is something I did not do with the 15.

What is a LOA light?

It is good to know you don't think the acros will die, but like you said I would rather have them "thrive" than "Survive".

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SPS(BB) said:
If you are going to have the tank remain an SPS tank I would def. get the halide on them(just slowly, like you said). Maybe try light filtering techniques so you do not have to cut up the hood.
I wouldn't cut up the hood, just unscrew the hinges and remove the top, I can then hang the spyder reflector by some wires, or a makeshift bracket until I acclimate properly and finally bolt the light inside the hood again and screw the hinges back in.

Thanks for chiming in,
Whiskey

·
Registered
363 Posts
Light's of america light from home depot. 65 watt 6500 k. I grew many monti frag's out in that tank, and a bunch of tri color acro frag's. No color, but the growth was pretty good.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Whisky give them the light just start it way up high and slowly over days
move it down lower a little at a time(slowly I say) I want you to do this slowly as to not shock them and give them time to slowly adjust,oh and keep your hands out!:funny: :beer:

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Casey

We now have 4 for switching to MH
0 for keeping the existing PC

I will set the bulb hight to get the same Lux readings as I have now, I will then move them down about an inch per week until I get the Lux readings I want.

If I keep my hands out how can I possibly syphon deatris?

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Registered
363 Posts
When I used to siphon I used the skinny end of a fishing pole to attach the hose to. That way i could reach all over without touching the water with my hand's. Now I just use that to move stuff around and right snail's.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike O'Brien said:
When I used to siphon I used the skinny end of a fishing pole to attach the hose to. That way i could reach all over without touching the water with my hand's. Now I just use that to move stuff around and right snail's.
I use a turkey baster with a length of RO line attached to the end, this works fine for the small tank, but my hands sometimes touch the water when I am trying to get down and around a rock.

Why is it such a big deal to touch the water with your hands anyway?

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Because we dont know where your hands have been:funny: :beer:

·
Registered
363 Posts
The natural oil from you're hand's will usually stop the skimmer in it's track's for a while. That's if you're hand's are extremely clean. That's usually not the case though. My hand's are covered in diesel fuel and oil every day, then there is the soap residues. Niccoteen residue if you smoke. I'd say there is a long list of reason's.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
ok, i say leave it the way it is. the tank is only 12" deep. i am guessing this is a BB tank. i do not think you need as much light as think you do. if you really feel you need more light, than just add another PC bulb.

quit screwing with things whiskey!!! :D if this is working let it work. then see if you can figure out why it works and the other did not. do not go messing it up because you "think" it will help. no offence, but your track record for helping changes has not been that good. ;)

i say let it be, do the normal maintenance on it and see if it keeps working. do not try optimizing anything yet. let it teach you, not the other way around. keep your Ca and alk reasonable.

G~

1 - 20 of 23 Posts