The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey every body. Im new to reefing but Ive done my research. I have a 14 Gal Oceanic Bio Cube that has 16lbs of fiji live rock and a nice deep sand bed.

Im going to get another powerhead or pump of some kind to improve tank flow. Im also going to get an led kit for the lunar glow.

The tank currently has a chunk of krill sitting in it to start the cycle.

I want to know what you guys would do to get this thing looking really good.

1. Timeline of additions?
2. Cleaner Crew?
3. Cool Additions?
4. Places to buy?
5. Tank Mods?
6. Tips/Advice?
7. Warnings?

Thanks in advance to all

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I want to know what you guys would do to get this thing looking really good.

1. Timeline of additions?
2. Cleaner Crew?
3. Cool Additions?
4. Places to buy?
5. Tank Mods?
6. Tips/Advice?
7. Warnings?

Thanks in advance to all
1: Only your test kits can tell. Most often, 4-6 weeks Max!
2: Pick a small crew from www.floridapets.com
3: Whatever you like to see. (provided your tank will support it's size/needs). No Tangs.
4: Check out www.riptidesreef.com. He is awesome to deal with.
5: Upgrade to MH Lighting to expand the possibilities.
6: Patience!!
7: Do not ever get in a hurry! Monitor your parameters constantly, (At least weekly.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Agree with everything reefneck said.
But I would be cautiuos "forcing" a cycle. Adding the krill may actually prolong your cycle. The best thing to do is let nature take it's course :) Also, since you've done your research you know about ro/di right? Use it. Dont add anything (chemicals/additives) unless you can test for them. Look to ebay for the lunar LED's. I beleive those tanks come with PC lighting. stick with soft corals, maybe LPS high in the tank. BE PATIENT DONT RUSH!!! Now just let the tank sit and cycle. in a few weeks you should see a diatom bloom, a light brown algae, once that clears siphion the diatom, do a 20%wc, assuming your tests are ok wait a week add a cleanup crew, wait another week and slowly start adding fish and corals.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
i have to disagree i have a aqua c remora skimmer on my 12g eclipse and although i do get nasty tea color skimmate its not tons of it. If you have good filtration, weekly 10% water changes, and good flow you dont need a skimmer on a 14g tank. Now with that said if you are going to not stick to the rules and put a larger bio load then you should then yes you need a skimmer. I only have a blue damsel and a clown in my tank and have no intentions of buying any other fish. Shrimp and corals sure but not fish. Now the questions
1. 4-6 weeks for cycle. Take the krill out.
2. get 50% of the cleaner crew recommended for the tank and add if nessassary. if they run out of food because you bought to many they will die
3-7 same as reefneck

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My 02

Depends on your budget.

Consider running this as a reef tank with nothing but corals and perhaps a fire fish or something similar. Reef tanks need appropriate lighting .. skimmer .. and a sump would help as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot guys

Skimmer is on my list, but sump is not a possibility as I have no room for it. I pulled the krill out and I realized that the tank does have the lunar LEDs I just didnt see the power cable for them in the bottom of the box. As far as the water I am using, it is all LFS RO water.

I only plan on having a few very small fish. and some inverts

So once my readings say all is well I can add cleaner crew? I read some where that the cleaner crew will eat things that grow in the sand bed and if you add them too early it the cleaners will eat them all before they can multiply enough. Does this have any truth?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Never heard that one.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I agree but get five cerith and five nassarius and because it's a smaller tank get a few bumble bee snails that would pretty sweet.

id get a cleaner shrimp, a half dozen astrias, and a half dozen nassarius snails if it were me. if u end up needing more the add more as needed, u cant have too many snails imo.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well if there is still lot's of algae around then get more snails until they can keep it under control, you will know if you have to many because everything will be clean and some will start to die.

how do i know if i need more? Like just if I see there is stuff that needs to be cleaned up or with some kind of testing?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what are the best kind of snails? Also as my tank sits there isnt much for water surface aggitation. Is that ok? I have the filter outlet pointed down to get more flow around the live rock. Should i point it up to get more aggitation? or is enough oxygen coming into the water while it is going through the built in wet dry?

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
I would like to add about riptidereef, Billy is awesome to deal with, but last time i heard he is closing down.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what are the best kind of snails? Also as my tank sits there isnt much for water surface aggitation. Is that ok? I have the filter outlet pointed down to get more flow around the live rock. Should i point it up to get more aggitation? or is enough oxygen coming into the water while it is going through the built in wet dry?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I would like to add about riptidereef, Billy is awesome to deal with, but last time i heard he is closing down.
Nyet! He is scaling back right now. May sell the business. For now he is cutting back, slashing prices and still giving the best customer service there is!

He was offered one heck of a Job offer that he says he just can't let pass.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hopefully the third times the charm

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Sorry, Didn't mean to ignore your questions. I love Cerith Snails but BOY will they multiply! ;) Nassarius(sp) are excellent for a sand bed. They burrow in until they sense food then you watch them coming out of the sand like zombies. lol They keep the sandbed sifted which is good.

If there is no livestock in your tank you don't need to worry about the amount of O2 just yet. Once you add critters then I would get a small powerhead to handle behind the rockwork and run your return across the surface.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
i really like the astrea snails, they tend to stay on the glass and do a great job at keeping the glass clean. Some snails are algae eaters, some are detritus eaters. so i would get a mixture of both, that way you have both covered.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts