The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone;
I'm planning to coral shopping in a cpl of weeks. :banana: I've corrected my numbers and want to give it a cpl of weeks to make sure everything stays stable. My salinity was a little low and so was my ph. I added supper buffer to correct the ph and have been adding a little salt top off water to correct the salinity. The salinity is still a little low but it should be correct by the end of the week.
I have a 150 with a 20 gallon sump, mh 2 175 watt 15000 k lr ls 3 phs and a hang on aquaclear with lr in it. I have all soft coral right now because I haven't been very successful with hard corals in the past. Right now I have 2 colt some mushroom and button polyps. I would like to add some color it seems all my coral are all different shades of tan:bawling: .
So what would you all suggest? Yesterday I ordered my test kits from marine depot I ordered alk ph and calcium test kits. I have not been keeping a close eye on my calcium levels because I don't have hard corals but now that I'm getting the test I could keep a closer eye on it. The brand I ordered is salifert.
Thanks
Patrick

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
I would try some Montiporra, either Cap or Digitata. Comes in Orange, Pink, Purple, and Green.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
partobe said:
Hi Everyone;
I'm planning to coral shopping in a cpl of weeks. :banana: I've corrected my numbers and want to give it a cpl of weeks to make sure everything stays stable. My salinity was a little low and so was my ph. I added supper buffer to correct the ph and have been adding a little salt top off water to correct the salinity. The salinity is still a little low but it should be correct by the end of the week.
I have a 150 with a 20 gallon sump, mh 2 175 watt 15000 k lr ls 3 phs and a hang on aquaclear with lr in it. I have all soft coral right now because I haven't been very successful with hard corals in the past. Right now I have 2 colt some mushroom and button polyps. I would like to add some color it seems all my coral are all different shades of tan:bawling: .
So what would you all suggest? Yesterday I ordered my test kits from marine depot I ordered alk ph and calcium test kits. I have not been keeping a close eye on my calcium levels because I don't have hard corals but now that I'm getting the test I could keep a closer eye on it. The brand I ordered is salifert.
Thanks
Patrick
Well do you want to take a stab at some SPS corals? If so I would start out easy and get a couple small frags of Montipora or maybe a nice staghorn. If this is your first attempt at SPS, I think you should take it slow and not spend too much right now. If the couple pieces you get survive, then pick up a nce frag pack from ultimatefrags.com $150 for 12 frags is not bad. Echinopora is a nice coral also.
If you want some color and want to stick with softies, maybe some nice Ricordeas, Divertom.com has a good price on them. There are tons of zoos with alot of colors in them.
LPS corals, maybe some Acans, open brain, or Blastomusa all have good color.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kelli and Butch. I love frogspawn but have no idea what Montiporra Cap or Digita are. What does frogspawn like is it difficult? I will have to google the ones your talking about Butch.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Josh I had a brain earlier as well as a vase and they both died. How ever since then Ive joined trt and found out how to correct my nitrate salinity and ph problems. Ive bought a ro unit and a new skimmer and cut back on my feedings so maybe now I would stand a better chance?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
partobe said:
Thanks Josh I had a brain earlier as well as a vase and they both died. How ever since then Ive joined trt and found out how to correct my nitrate salinity and ph problems. Ive bought a ro unit and a new skimmer and cut back on my feedings so maybe now I would stand a better chance?
Since you are coming down from a nitrate problem, you should take it slow with SPS corals. It is really easy for them to turn brown when water quality is not to their liking.

Torches, Frog Spawn, and Hammer coral are all great LPS corals. Just be careful where you place them, they can give their neighbor quite a sting. The come in a nice green color, or green with purple tips. The look great under actinics.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Josh. I put a few peices of dead rocl in a few days ago so I have a cpl of places I could put them so they wouldnt bother anyone. I tend to like lps better than sps

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eddited verrsion thanks Geoff. I want to add a more color but I want something easy to care for. I have allot of polyps and mushrooms so looking for something a little diffrent.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
how about an open brain?
you said you had one before and they come in diferent colors.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
gonna probably disagree with everyone here. Maybe it's just my experience...but most of the corals mentioned thus far, I think are not for a newly cycled tank.

I'd say go with a softie to start. Maybe a small Green Star Polyp, or some zoa's. They are more forgiving I think.

But if you DO go with a GSP, make sure you put it on an island, so to speak. Don't put it in the middle of your huge rockwork...as after you get the hang of things, that guy will take off, and overgrow all your real estate. Beautiful when they get going...but a pain to slow down/control their growth.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks Little Luie and skeety
My tank has been up since last Nov so not newly cycled. I had a run in with salinity nitrates and alk. I think I have those pretty much under control now that I'm using ro water and new skimmer.
The only thing I'm concerned about is I don't have a calcium drip. Do I need to have one of those to have hard corals? I dose my tank with kent calcium but have ordered a test kit so I can get it where it needs to be

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
as long as you test before you dose and keep the levels correct there is no reason why you can not keep what you want. taking into account your lighting situation.

there are some easy SPS and there are some hard LPS. it is just a matter of what you like the look of.

G~

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Geoff

I have 2 175 watt 15000k mh. I really do like the frogspawn and the brains. I just didn't have good luck with the one I had before but that was before I made the corrections. I just REALLY hate killing things.
Patrick

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
Troy kept a frogspawn in his 30-gal 8 yrs ago... under normal flourescents, and it grew. We still have it in our 120 now. Here's a pic of it in his tank:

It's above his meat coral... and here's a link to his tank... it was really successful, and had to be taken down during his 2nd year at IU b/c he was never home anymore... so it was added to the 120 tank.

LINK to his 30-gal tank

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW ShirleyM those are some pic! You guys really know how to reef! I think I'm def getting a frogspawn! I'm waiting a week or so to make sure everything stays stable. Ive been doing a little more research and I realize I also didn't place the brain or torch correctly. I had them way too high in the tank.
Once again ShirleyM thanks for the posting and link. I wish Troy could come help me arrange my tank like his.
Patrick

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
Thanks Patrick!
Troy would LOVE to come help you! He's never been to NYC and I was born in Hudson... He's been to DC and practically everywhere else, though.

Here's why Troy's 30-gal was amazingly successful, on his very tight budget of a 16-yr-old when he started it... and we already had the empty 30-gal tank.

He is the most patient person I know when it comes to science and projects. Steve and I were like, get this, get that, and he was - NO! I have to wait until this is right, or see how this does. He fiddled with it a lot until it was settled in, like 8-12 weeks, and then he kept fiddling more and read a lot. He was absolutely adamant about low bio-load... 1 or 2 favorite fish, that was it. I insisted on putting a pair of clowns in there, and his levels slowly began to soar... and I had to take them back to the fish store for future credit.

He did frequent water changes, added the additives and tests on a schedule (spreadsheet with all the parameters written down)
Used regular normal output flour. lights until the last year,... he got PC lights for it, never had actinics -- had a hang-on skimmer (Big Mombasa) and no sump, and average to low water movement. He kept lps and leathers and mushrooms, shrimp, a few oddball crabs that he loved (emerald crab, porcelain anemone crab, a decorator crab). His carpet anemone grew so large he ended up taking it to Inland Aquatics after 3 yrs and trading it in.

then 4 mos after he started his tank, we found the 120 setup empty and for sale - and he helped us get that going. His innate ability to understand chemistry and biology is something he has been able to do since early childhood, and then he graduated w/honors in Chem at IU and was an Inst. Assistant there, plus he finished one year toward his Ph.D. He's taking a break now...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts