The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I am going to get a peppermint shrimp to eat my aiptasia, but I wanted to make sure it will not eat anything that I still want in my aquarium. I have some tube worms, a couple baby brittle stars, some sort of filter feeder that looks like a balloon with two holes in it, some feather dusters and some spaghetti worms. Does anyone know if peppermint shrimp will eat any of these or anything else that I might want in my aquarium?

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
they will eat aiptasia but will also eat flakes and other stuff once there isnt any aiptasia left. they will also scavenge

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
is_that_a_fish said:
they will eat aiptasia but will also eat flakes and other stuff once there isnt any aiptasia left. they will also scavenge
They will not wait until the Aiptasia are gone to eat these other things. They might actually eat the other foods preferentially.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
SLPReefer said:
I think that I am going to get a peppermint shrimp to eat my aiptasia, but I wanted to make sure it will not eat anything that I still want in my aquarium. I have some tube worms, a couple baby brittle stars, some sort of filter feeder that looks like a balloon with two holes in it, some feather dusters and some spaghetti worms. Does anyone know if peppermint shrimp will eat any of these or anything else that I might want in my aquarium?
They can be pretty voraceous feeders that will eat lots of things. However, as others have said, they are unlikely to bother any of your corals. I have not seen them bother tube worms. I don't think they are likely to eat brittle stars. The "balloon"-like filter feeder with two holes sounds like a tunicate, and I suspect it will be safe. Spaghetti worm will probably be OK, but I'm not certain.

They might tend to de-populate your tank of some small critters a bit though. However, peppermint shrimp are also very cool critters in their own right....so cool that they would be worthy of a tank just set up for them.

If they are well fed their impact on tank critters will likely be less, though maybe you don't want to feed them really heavily fed until your Aiptasia are eaten? (but don't try to starve them)

By the way, they are cooler if you keep them in groups. They are sometimes a lot more active and visible when there is a group of them.

Also, you will get to see reproduction if you keep them in groups. Like their close relatives the skunk cleaner shrimp, they are hermaphrodites. Any two individuals will function as a pair. Each time a given shrimp molts the other one will normally mate with it, and the just-molted shrimp (which received sperm from the other) will then lay eggs that it will carry on its swimmerettes until the eggs hatch (and each individual will periodically be seen carrying eggs on a regular basis). They release the young at night, and you will periodically get to see the larval shrimp swimming around in your tank (until they either get eaten, get sucked into pumps, or die of starvation).

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
They will clean your fingers if you let them :) Depending on the size of your tank 1 will not be enough. They are like a royal gramma in that they find a home they like and poke out to grab food. Though I have seen them crusing the tanks at night.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Most of the time they are ok - but they have some risk. I had one reef that had peppermint shrimp in it. I put a bubble tip aneome in the tank and the shrimp immediatly started tearing off its tenticales - needless to say, I pulled the aneome out right away.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Peppermint shrimp are wonderful and friendly little critters. I loved mine, and plan on getting another one. Mine took care of all the smaller sized aptasia I had in my tank. He loved the fresh meat, and I hand fed him this. Like everyone else has stated... it shouldn't bother any corals in your tank and, they are a benificial creature to add to a tank.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Capman, thanks for the info. I'm gonna get a pair when I get the 30 gallon up-to-par. It will be cool to watch the eggs hatch and swim around.

Max, sorry to hear that your peppermint shrimp did that. That makes me leary of putting a bubble tip in my 30 gallon. How big is the tank that you had them both in?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Max, sorry to hear that your peppermint shrimp did that. That makes me leary of putting a bubble tip in my 30 gallon. How big is the tank that you had them both in?
Long time ago - 125 gallon

In general, it has been my experience that peppermint shrimp are the only animals that eat aptasia in a realiable fashion. I have had bad luck with Copperbands not eating them and nudibrachs (sp?) don't last in most reef tanks (end up in pumps or sucked into the overflows). So if you have aptasia, I would not hesitate to put them in. A couple of picked over corals are better then a tank full of aptasia. But that being said, peppermints are one of the most dangerous "reef safe" shrimp. I have heard reports from other people about peppermint shrimp being extremly distructive (reliable sources). The only bad experience I have had is the one listed above - but I keep my reefs pretty well fed. I also have peppermints in all of my reefs.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
peppermint shrimp are fine in reefs, never had one mess with anything.

camel shrimp on the other hand look similar peppermints but are non reef safe.

·
Registered
111 Posts
so for a 90 Gallon Tank that is starting to show alot of Glass Anenomes how many peppermints should I get.

Loads of live rock and hiding places one yellow tang,6 Chrmois,2 fire shrimps and 4 soft corals.

How many should I go for to start off.

4,6,8.... ?

Juan

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've got four in my 40 and I haven't seen an aip since I put them in. Granted, I also did kalk squirts when I did see them, but that wasn't completely killing them before. I often see them picking for pods but they really go nuts when I feed flake, don't seem to notice/care much for frozen foods. FWIW I have boat-loads of spaghetti worms, tube worms, bristle worms sponges, turnicates(sp?), etc. I don't see them much except for when I feed flake or if I look around with a flash light at night.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
<TABLE borderColor=#000099 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=496 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=v9 vAlign=top>Welcome to eTropicals.com! </SPAN> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=476 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=476 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=476 align=center border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><!---<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0" width="98%" align="center"><tr> <td> Severe Weather Delivery Notes: In the best interest of our aquatic life, we have decided to suspend shipping orders to New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine due to poor weather Please see details here
</td></tr></table>---><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>I got some coming in on Tuesday.
Get Lg ones if you can. My wrasses had a 5pc shrimp mealdeal last time I added some very small ones.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow this is an old thread. I didn't even remember starting this :D
Follow up on my peppermint: It ate all the aiptasia, but also ate all of the small feather dusters in my tank. Didn't realize it until I put a new rock in there with some nice feather dusters on it. It was pretty gruesome. That bought him a trip to the 75 in the basement :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts