The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as stated in the food coloring test, i'm close to bringing the new tank inside.

but there is a problem, the current 55 sits where the 75 will go. so, i have two options. both will cause the fish stress, but, which would cause the least amount of stress to the fish. i already know which will cause the least stress for me. :D

option 1.
drain the 55, put water, rocks and inhabitants into buckets or rubebr maid tubs. move 55 stand and tank, to new temporary location. put water, rock, and inhabs back into tank. move 75 into place, add sand, water, rock, etc.. and let cycle for a few months before moving inhabs over and tearing down the 55.

or

option 2.
drain the 55. put water, rocks, and inhabs into temporary rubber maid tubs. tear down 55 and stand and move out of the way. bring in the 75 stand and put into place. add sand, fill with water from 55, add rocks and inhabs. this would mean no cycle, but i'm not really sure if a cycle would be needed, since it would be the same water, same rocks, and same inhabs. however, i could end up with a milkshake, even though i'm planning the best way possible for avoiding it.

i like option two, because i would only have to setup one tank, and the lights could be moved over immediately, but i'm not so sure i like the idea of adding everything before the tank has had some time to cycle, and mature a little before moving everything over.

advice, comments, suggestions? thanks!

G

·
imo get a tub fill add inhabitants then switch everything frm 55 to 75 if milkshake let everything settle then add fish

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but what about the cylce?

or is that not an issue since the rock is already cycled.. and the bioload isn't increasing since it's the same inhabs?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I don't think that you should have too much problems with a cycle. But what about the copper problem you have? Are you going to make your new 75 into a reef, or FOwlr? If you move your stuff from the old tank, even to include the rocks you have a good chance of taking copper with it and infecting the new tank with the same problem your old one has unfortunately :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree with your hypothesis. Since your bacteria is still there and your biolad is not increasing there should not be a problem. The only thing you hav eto worry about is the die off when you move the sandbed. I just made sure that I moved the sanbed as carfully as possible (of course will still have to scoop and pour), the rock was already cured and able to sutain the bioload until the substrate could recolonize. I never saw any kind of spike in my nitrates, nitrites,or amonia

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the sand bed isnt moving.. the current sandbed is just medium grained crushed coral.. it sucks.. the new sandbed is 300 lbs of southdown.

as for the coppr issue. yeah, this tank is going to be fowlr only. although, oddly, i'm not registering copper anymore ?!?!?!

the BIG tank will be reef, and this one will either remain fowlr, or get dedicated to my fw sharks, they are in need of a bit of a larger tank.

i thought long and hard about the descision to move the rock and pumps over, and decided to go ahead and do it. and have it be just a fowlr.

but what's strange, as i mentioned, is that i am not registering copper any more. i did a test two weeks ago, one last week, and one this week. and still nothing. doesnt register at all.

so the only thing i can think of is that my snail die off was a result of the massaging incident, (i'll be sending mojo a bill for that) and the anemone and anthellia dying, i can only chalk up to the tank being too new to take them. and of course, lack of knowledge.

i started testing for copepr a few weeks ago, because it seemed strange to me that i still had one living, and growing large, snail, all my hermits are still alive, my cowrie is still living and huge, and my green brittle has grown all his tips back (a result of an attack from a mean red hairy hermit) and my peppermint shrimp has molted 4 or 5 times now. it seemed odd that all these inverts would be living, with such high copper levels, so i bought my own kit and started testing, and nothing.

then i remembered, when i took my kit into the lfs for testing....i took the water in a glass mason jar...complete with 2 piece COPPER lid..

i'm not sure if the copper could have leached into the water in the short time it took to drive to the lfs, but it's the only thing i can think of. since i'm not seeing any now..

weird man weird

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ohh Geez! You should totally try a new coral! I would get some shroomies! If ya want Jay I will send you some, just to help you out after you get your 75 up. I bet that the copper lid could have totally fouled your water extra quick. I will frag some soon and get em going on some rocks for ya.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it WOULD be cool, if it was just a fluke!!

but i still think i should wait until the tank is all transferred, and give the new rocks some time to develope some bacteria colonies, and give the sand bed some time to establish.. but yeah a few frags from some friends would be really cool!!

thanks for the offer.. clint said he has some zoos set aside for me too when i'm ready.

after everything is transferred over, i'm gonna do lots of tests to make sure, before adding any corals though.. i'll also be using ro/di water on the new tank as well :)

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Jay

I would take what you need out of the 55, move it and set it back up for the fish and critters. No sand bed or gravel though. You will have enough rock to support them.

Too many things can go wrong with a newly set up tank. At least for the first couple of months.

With everything set backup in their 55, you can introduce things a little at a time to the new tank and observe how they are doing. If anything goes wrong, you can move them back to the 55 and start the process over.

Jerel

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Jay with the suggestions made for you above what way to choose should be fine!

I put all my LR, corals and fish into a large rubbermaid container and then filled up my new tank with sand and a small layer of old sand for seeding and put in all my LR and waited a day and then put in the rest of the critters and everything was fine!:)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:) well, i'm still a few weeks off. still have to get a few pumps, some hirocks, my two overflows, and small bit of plumbing...THEN i'll finally be finished... or jsut getting started.. depends on your view :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts