The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep that's right.

Now about the lighting. I've seen plenty of URI actinic and 50/50 combinations, but they give a blue/purple light. I'm looking for bulbs or a combination that would be crisp white. Like a 10k Ushio, only in VHO.

I can run any bulbs or combination of that's four across.

Jerel

·
bug hunter
816 Posts
Jerel,

I'm running 2 URI 50/50's on 1 of my prop tanks, it is pretty white. I don't think it compares to the white of the ushio but it is close. I've also tried Aquasuns, but they are pretty pink.

Too bad you weren't close, I have a bunch of bulbs and you could see in person what they look like.

Is this going to be your fowlr? tell me more:D

Jon

·
Registered
334 Posts
Actinic White (12000K) = 50% actinic 03 blue phosphors & 50% white spectrum(triband). High performance upgrade which are great for corals, live rock, and related marine life.
Super Actinic R (420nm peak) = 100% blue spectrum. These are the most widely used aquarium bulbs on the market. They are great for reef applications and coral health.
AquaSun (10000K) = 100% white spectrum.
All URI lamps come with 180' internal reflector which allow 40% more light output.

I have two Actinic Whites and one Super Actinic!
Take a look!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scott,

From reading, I've seen people saying the Aquasuns are pink? pinky/purple?? Wonder if it's because of running them on different ballasts???

I'm so spoiled! I want that crisp white I get from the Ushio's 10k's but in VHO. Is that possible? Plus I'm limited to URI bulbs as far as I know because I need the 46.5" bulbs.

Jon,

I'm changing out the house tank to be FOWLR for several reasons. I'm tired of the maintenance, the fish are all getting too big and they come first. Plus, our elec bill for the house was $450 last month.

·
Registered
334 Posts
To answer your question truthfully NOPE!
I thought the AquaSun would be whiter (I never tried them) but the Actinics will have a slight bluish tint compared to that crisp white you get with the MH lights but if I was to remove the Super and put all three Actinics it would be as close as you can get. Taking it the Suns are pinkish like you say, I'd go all Actinis, you will get a whiter or whitest possible look, BTW I use the icecap 660, works well and is cheaper on the billz!

·
Registered
334 Posts
On the bosses 500g tank he went with a setup of VHO's and MH only in certain spots. I was thinking of doing something of this matter myself, just putting up one HIQ 250w pendant in the center of my tank, and moving the center VHO onto the lid or maybe removing it totally. this way I'd have a crisp center section and an offset on the sides producing variations that look wonderful.

·
bug hunter
816 Posts
:( Somehow I was guessing that. Are you gonna re-stock the ocean with some pf your colonies?

So, your tank is 8 feet right? You want to stagger 4 4' bulbs(guessing that's why you need 46.5 bulbs) doesn't URI make 8' bulbs?

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The lighting is already in place, all I need to do is change bulbs. :) Well that and only turn the MH's on when I want it to look real pretty. LOL
I can mostly just run enough light during the day to make the fish happy - and not grow algae! LOL and feed the fish like they should be fed.

Also, I can have more fish!!

I like these guys and can't have them in a reef.

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scott

Here's the series of events.

#1 DSB crashed and I have algae - I hate that!!

#2 fish are growing up and need to be fed more

#3 tank is a room divider between living room and dining room, I don't care how much you clean, if that tanks not shining - the whole house looks dirty to me

#4 I can have a more fish and ones that I really like

I'm replacing everything in the tank (rocks, sand), no corals this time. I can leave the lights off most of the day. I can feed the fish like they should be fed.

AND make my life a whole lot easier! LOL

Now, help me pick out some VHO lighting that will make the tank and fish look good, and me happy! ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I run my lights from 6PM to 6AM, when the central A/C is cooling me, it keep them cool also. I get to enjoy them when I get home from work and right before I leave. I like not having all the extra stuff the has to me maintained and can go wrong, my tank is plane and simple, with the exception of a few corals. I intend to keep it that way. I change water about once a month and use the glass magnet every day, about it. Maybe one day If I get tired of the corals, I'll pull all of the base rock and just move to a FOWLR, It won't be much I'll need to change. My passion has always been fish, probably always will!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Actinic White, I can't offer any more help on bulbs, I've found and use, as far as VHO goes. They make so many bulbs, unless you buy one of each or happen to know someone who has them, seems to be the only true way to find what you want. I'm glad you guys said the AquaSun is Pinkish, next round I'll go all Actinic Whites, they will be whiter than two and one SuperActinic like I have now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.