The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sir Master Deuter the 3rd
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of fish would go good with the Snowflake Eel? I'm planning on putting a Eel in my tank and I want to know what type of fish would be ok for the Eel. Is it all just size that matters? Anything over 3 inches or is it the type of fish. What do you all have to say about this?

-Deuter:read:

·
11,345 Posts
What type of fish would go good with the Snowflake Eel?
I usually just eat them ala carte with a little bit of butter and garlic.

sorry. couldnt help it

I never had a problem with my snowflake and surely had some fish it could have eaten. They arent the most graceful of critters or all that quick. I had a small sixline and a smallish hawkfish that seemd to be fine with it.

However, the difference between a lion and a eel is that if the eel simpl;y gets a hold of it it can kill and eat it where the lions will need to be able to fit them in their mouth. So almost any size fish is potentially fair game. Keep him well fed and they are pretty compatible with most things I think.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
when i had a FO tank i had a snowflake from the time it was about 4". First they grow like weeds. Second I never had an issue with him. I had inverts and a few smaller fish. Now maybe I was just lucky

·
Registered
198 Posts
i have a snowflake eel and i have other fishes in the tank with it:
2 blue hippo tangs
2 scopas tangs
1 sailfin tang
1 humuhumu trigger
1 ribbon eel (lives in the same tube with the snowflake)
1 flame angel
1 small chromis
2 clarkii clowns

he seems to do fine if you give it a place to chill and live...check out my little video of him:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=19686719

·
Sir Master Deuter the 3rd
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Everyone, I've heard allot of good success with keeping a both the snowflake and the ribbon Eel in Reef Tanks. It was suprising that real small fish like the flame Angel and clowns were not eaten. So what it seems to come down to is, if the eel or eels are well fed they won't eat the fish in the tank. Speaking of feeding, what do you all usually feed your eels?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
i feed mine frozen whole shrimp(the smaller ones of coarse). I put enough for a week in a dixi cup in the fridge and feed every day. Lets just say i had to buy a bigger tank very quick

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
if you are interested in keeping fish with an eel. get a Zebra moray instead of a snowflake. zebra's have rounded teeth for eating crustaceans, so they are not overly interested in eating fish at all. i have kept firefish with zebra morays without problem. BTW-the zebra moray was 3' long, could have easily eaten the firefish if interested.

if not kept fed and happy a snowflake will be more than happy to go after fish to eat. not an eel you want to have it you go on vacation very often. they will eat whatever is in the tank when they get hungry.

G~

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
I like a good snapper with a lemon butter sauce with my eel.

Oh, wrong forum sorry.

j/k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts