The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think of getting a brittle star. Do they require any special diet or feeding requirements? I have been told that they are reef safe except that they can sometimes knock things over.

Though I would check here first.

Thanks, Ross

·
Administrator
48,763 Posts
Which type of brittle star are you thinking of getting, most are content to scavenge with the occasional goody but the big green ones if not fed will grab fish on occasion. Other than that they are not as shy and retiring as most of the others, its funny to watch the "octopus imatation"

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Yeah like Doug says the big green brittle stars need to be target fed or they will hunt!! I had a very large one and it was cool to watch at feeding time and lost him to a serious wound on the disc and believe my large yellow tang was responsible!:(

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i'll attest as well. my green brittle is the most interesting thing in my tank. and surely drives visitors nuts when they see it eat from my hand.

i've been told as well, that they must be target fed often as they get larger, or they'll nab a fish.

i feed my fish homemade mush every three days, but i feed my star every other day with the same homemade mush. i feed shrimp pellets on the off days. just one pellet. so he gets fed every day.

and it's quite fun to watch him come out as soon as he senses food in the water. he'll come from whereever he is hiding and curl up around the food right out of my hand. he's not shy at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.