The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best thing to feed a Scotter blenny? He does not seem to go after flakes or pellets. I tried so raw shrimp but he didn't see to like that either

·
Registered
69 Posts
ah scooters can scavenge on their own around the tank. I've had mine for a good 2 years now and he just scavenges all day :rotflmao:

He should be cool with scavenging, but ask you local fish store becuase yours might be different :doh:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
pods are tiny crustaceans that are found in most tanks. most are about an 1/8 to a 1/4" in length. most are amphipods, but some are copepods. they look like small shrimp running around the base of the LR. tend to be out more at night than during the day. definately if there is a predator around (scooter blenny).

try shinning a flashlight at night at the base of your aquascaping and see if you see any small scurrying critters.

G~

·
Registered
69 Posts
yeah sorry i forget to specify about the pods. But many pods come in on live rock (thats how my main supply came in) As long as your scooter isn't starving, the pods can keep a steady supply of food for him :thumbup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I first got te live rock I saw tons of little critters, but now I don't see them anymore, should I be concerned? And do they multiply pretty well?

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Unfortunately I don't believe that is big enough to sustain a pod population. Scooters are as hard to keep as mandarins, imo, and shouldn't be kept in anything but large tanks with a lots of live rock for pods to thrive in.

I think you have a couple of choices, none of which is going to make you happy:

1. You can order pods online, but they are about $30 and my guess is you would have to purchase them at least a few times a month to keep your scooter alive.

2. Take him back to the LFS...perhaps they can put him in a tank where he can survive. Perhaps he will get lucky and be sold to someone with a large tank with a big pod population. Or do you know someone with a tank that fits this description?

3. Purchase a bigger tank yourself. ;) The only problem would be curing LR...that normally takes months.

4. I was going to suggest a pod refugium for your tank, but I think 12 gallons is just too small. Perhaps not...and others will chime in.

Sorry to sound so gloomy!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only have about 13lbs of live rock in there right now. What about adding 1 -2 lbs of refugi rock. Do you think that would do it?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I did some more research and the blenny will eat live brine shrimp, so I went and got some for him yesterday. He ate wonderfully. I think I am going to try and train him to take the frozen. if not he will have a diet of brine shrimp

·
Administrator
47,017 Posts
You need to figger out what the adult brine shrimp feed on and fortify that with Selcon, adult brine shrimp have very little food value unfortunatly, kind of like trying to live on nothing but popcorn

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Will the fish store that you bought it at take it back? Maybe they will trade with you if you can't get your money back for it.
A scooter blenny really requires a larger tank, noted that a 30 gallon is the minimum sized tank for it to live in. A scooter blenny is a difficult fish to keep, just as any dragonet is. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well returning him is not an option, and I do not know anyone else with a SW tank. As far as feeding the brine shrimp, my goal is to train him to actually eat the frozen brine shrimp that is fortified. This is really the best I can do at this time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well here is some good news, the blenny is eating the frozen brine shrmip which are fortified. I do plan on getting a much larger tank so, so he will be more comfortable

1 - 20 of 21 Posts