The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i got corals and fish i keep having my fish get beat up and death, and some of my corals keep getting beat up, almost like the polyps are cut open and the fleshy part is all mangeled. I have all docile fish in, hippo tang, chromis and clown fish. i keep hearing clicking noises, and i figure its a mantis shrimp, and i also have a crap load of hitchhiking crabs i see all the time at night. im bummed that my corals get cut up and stuff dies. Is there anyway next time when i get live rock that hunts mantis shrimps and crabs like there is no tomorrow? Something that will eat and demolish them. maybe if there is i will just take everything out and put the mean fish or whatever in so it can do business. If you guys know any specimens to do the job i would appreciate it. thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
Nothing comes to mind that is completely reef safe. There's a good way to make a mantis trap that only needs a 20 oz pop(or water) bottle. Just cut off the part that looks like a funnel and invert it into the bottle(after getting all the glue off) then put some shrimp into it. The only bad part is that if it is a mantis usually you'd need to get the bottle close to its burrow. At least that's what I've read.

Also, is it one or two clicks with nothing else, or is it a lot of rapid clicks? A pistol shrimp makes a few clicks to chase things off occasionally, but mantises will contine to click(to make a burrow in the rock or to break open a shell) Pistols are, for the most part, harmless. Also, it'd probably(imo) be a crab attacking the corals, I know mantises will re-arrange them a lot, but usually they won't(from everything I've read) just bash them open and ignore them, they usually get into things to eat them.

Another thing to try is after the lights are out in the tank go to it with a flashlight covered in red plastic that is still pretty see through and see if you can see something attacking the fish or the corals. That way you could figure out how to deal with it better :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh ok thanks a lot little fishy, ya i dont remember how many clicks it was. i will listen more carefully next time if i hear the clicking. thanks again

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh ya no problem, umm the type of live rock is alor, figi branch and pomphei, i dont know how to spell it, pronounced pompay. I have a 90 gallon reef tank with a small blue hippo tang, a clown fish, and one chromis, and i use to have 5 but they misteriously dissapeared. lol, i also have a torch coral, and 2 different frogspawns, a montipora, and a decent size green acropora,and a few mushrooms. I also have a good sized toad stool. My cleaner shrimp loves to walk all over it, it seams like its almost like his home type thing just like the clowns and anemone. I also have a mandarin dragonet. The set up i have is an over flow with about a 20 gallon sump. I have 2 250 metal halides, and they heat up the water quite a bit! My dad and i built the stand. I only started the hobby about 6 to 7 months ago. i dont know how to put pictures on a forum. If you could let me know i would post one. Thanks

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I don't think mantis shrimp or stone crabs will cut up corals. I've seen stone crabs go after snails and stomatella, but never any fish. Mantis, otoh, will hunt fish.

Can you post some test numbers, such as SG, pH, Ca, Alk, and nitrate? Perhaps it's something in the water. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
umm actually my calcium is low. it was excellent, which was 425 to 430 so i didnt really watch it closely because i thought it was good for a while because it was so high and i only have a few corals, but i checked it and wooooo it was like 300! im like what went wrong, i checked it like 2 weeks before when it was 425 but..... ya so im working on slowly bringing that up again

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well would a montipora, a acropora, 2 small frogspawns and a torch coral take that much calcium in a 90 gallon?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts