The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have tank with two clowns that been in the tank for two months all by themselves. So finally added new tank mates. One fire gobi and other was a pajama cardinal. Well since the clowns been alone so long they became territorial and attacked pajama and killed him. So did reading and gonna get more pajama, but gonna buy 3 this time. Any suggestions what other fish to add to maybe keep the clowns from being aggressive? And was wondering if I could add a sebae anemone in the tank maybe that would keep clowns away from the pajamas. The tank is a 40 gallon, set up with under gravel filter and crush coral base and have white Florida rock. So any pointers or suggestions would be greatly app. New to salt and trying to learn and understand what and what you can and cannot do.

· Registered
1,514 Posts
Were the clowns the first additions to the tank? If they were they are going to be very territorial because as far as they are concerned it's there tank.What type of clowns are they? Some clown species can be very aggressive. Most people would say don't add a nem yet as your tank is to young still. You could try rearranging your rock before you add your next fish that might help.

· Registered
44 Posts
I had a similar issue. Had one maroon clown, first fish added to our 29g biocube, upgraded to a bigger tank moved fish and anemone over. Once we added any other fish if they went anywhere in the vicinity of the anemone they'd be bullied, chased, nipped..

Finally had to get rid of the clown. From my experience, clowns should the the LAST ones added! I know it's hard to resist because everyone wants the clown and hosting anemone but it saves a whole lot of headache down the road!

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.