The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is crazy. I bought the 2 tanks (75gal & 240gal) & equipment from a person who had let his tanks go and finally is getting out of the hobby. I set up the 75 gallon tank. Moved 2 fish from a 240 into it, and sold the couple others to an LFS. I cleaned/scrubbed the massive hair algae growth off of the live rock and started it cooking in the garage. I Built a new wooden stand out of 2x4s for the 240 with plans to face it in Cherry cabinet after setting it in place. Great plan, or so I thought.

Friday I arrive with 6 people to pick up the 240 gal tank. It was set down into a steel stand for 10 years, with 10 years of accumulated rust. They are stuck together.:freak: We could not separate them and could not fit it in the van. Monday I returned with the crew and a trailer and brought it home.:lol:

problems:
1) 240 still stuck sitting down into a rusted steel stand. (surprise):angry:
2) I need to remove the ratty 10 yr old internal silicone and re-silicone the fillets in the joints. (planned)
3) The top glass cross-braces are gone. I need to buy new glass and install. (Planned)
4) Must re-plumb the drains since all plumbing had been glued together including the bulkheads.

So.... I had bid on a Reeflo barracuda for the tank on ebay. Monday night I am swearing at the steel stand and see that I won the pump. I looked and saw that the person with the Barracuda also listed an acrylic 360gal tank and sump and all the plumbing that had attached the barracuda to it. I bought it all. (and yes, my wife approved)

So my new tank will be a 360 8'L x 24"W x 36"h. What should I do with the darn 240? (8'L x 24"W x 24"h) As I see it here are my choices:

1) Try to sell it as is rusted to a stand and needing repair. Probably hold it for 3-4 months and lose $100 or break even.

2) Fix it up then try to sell it, probably sell more quickly, get a little more than my fix up cost out of it, lose $200

3) Fix it up. Tear apart the 2x4 stand. Redesign the stand so the 360 goes on top and use the 240 as a huge sump underneath. Probably lose $150 in destroyed lumber and increase the amount of money tied up in my system.

4) Fix it up. Tear apart the 2x4 stand. Redesign the stand so the 360 goes on top and the 240goes underneath as a 2nd "Double Decker" Display tank. Each display would get it's own 55 gal sump. Probably lose $150 initially. The cost to stock these 2 huge display tanks would mean years before they could be properly populated.

5) Take a hammer to the 240, let the trash hauler deal with it and move forward with the 360.

I really could use some opinions. I am normally a very decisive person, but that 240 really has me PO'ed and I seem to change my leaning every hour. After I pick up the 360 this weekend, I will start a build thread & include some pics of the tanks. (the 75 gal set-up will remain no matter the fate of the 240)

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you go with number 5 and you live close enough to me ill take it off your hands so your trash guys dont get hurt from sharp glass...:thumbup:

·
Registered
320 Posts
man u sound like u have some time on ur hands starting 3 tanks at the same time 3 big tanks. i would say deff keep the 360 and focus ur entire time into it since it will be ur baby and probably store the 240 in garage or something and do little at a time. either way it sounds cool

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
man u sound like u have some time on ur hands starting 3 tanks at the same time 3 big tanks. i would say deff keep the 360 and focus ur entire time into it since it will be ur baby and probably store the 240 in garage or something and do little at a time. either way it sounds cool
Well.... I am semi-retired. I work at my business 10-20 hrs/week so yes I have a little time. My hobby used to be golf, but I had neck surgery and my days of golfing are over. So it is time to re-enter an old passion of mine. My last tank was a 190 flatback hex that blew out the back seam, flooded the house, and I lost about 2Gs of livestock. That was a crushing blow and i didn't repair/rebuild. That was why I had already planned to re-silicone and beaf up the braces. Couldn't stand to blow another seam like that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i like option 6, set it up minimally as an aggressive tank with stingray, bamboo shark, lionfish and grouper :thumbup:

seriously.
Actually, living 2 miles from the gulf, I could go out and catch things to put in there. However, I may need to kick out one of my kids, or buy a bigger house to make room for both.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you double deck it the second tank is going to be so high off the ground. even if the first tank is really low. You need room to access the lower one.
My current stand was to be 36" from the ground and is 20" wider than the tank for access from the rear. But double decking i will need some substantial bracing which will cut into the access of the bottom tank.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
#1 did you try WD-40????

#5 If your near Dallas I'll take it off your hands....
The top of the stand is not flat. it is made out of 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron. The side of the angles point up like an |_ _| The tank sits down into the angles so the steel covers the bottom band. The rust has made the steel thicker and it is pinching the tank band.

I used PB Blaster - supposed to be better than wd40. no effect. Since the bottom band sits on top of the bottom leg, I have no way to safely pressure them apart. I used plywood against the glass bottom to spread out the force then beamed with 2x4/bricks to the ground. The stand (estimated weight is 250 lbs) hangs in the air from the tank. Today I used a dremel to start grinding away some or the thickened steel/rust that is wedging them together, but the cutting disks are too small. I may need to buy an angle grinder and cut through the steel. A real pain in the arse.

I'm in the Florida Panhandle, so drive over with a trailer and your 6 freinds and take it back to Dallas with you. (but this weekend I m busy getting my new tank, so we'll have to schedule around that,):lol:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
which part of the gulf? depending where you can find some really really cool stuff (baby redfish, trout and pompano would be incredible!) im picturing half sand half grassflat; basically a replica of why inshore fishing is so much fun!
Panama City Beach. I got my fishing license last week, but obviously need the tanks(s) ready before I venture out. I would love to have some panhandlers to collect with. there is a local reef club here so I hope to meet some collectors.

·
C'est la vie
4,118 Posts
if you know how to dive, the jetties around destin and the bay bridge are HUGE attractants for baby fish of all kinds, and where there are baby fish the big ones follow :D a couple hundred yards offshore from around PCB to near pensacola there is a ledge that drops from about 20ish feet to over 100 and that is a phenomenal area for fishing or collecting livestock. a castnet will do wonders, just dont let FWC find out

1 - 20 of 64 Posts