The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all!!

We have an extra 55G tank now that we have moved everything to the 125G, and I have been told that I can do anything I want with it (if I can figure out where to put it). :p Isn't that like giving your mother-in-law a coral and telling her she can keep it in your tank since she doesn't have one of her own?? No, I guess its a little different. I could always smash it to bits with a hammer. Have I covered all of last weeks running commentaries yet?

We already have a reef tank going, so I want to do something different. You guys sometimes discuss other tanks that you have - anyone want to make recommendations?? I was reading about the Oscars, and they sound fun, but I also think a river habitat would be cool cause I could get other stuff besides fish. The floor is open...

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
A 55 is the smallest reccomended tank for an Oscar and from my experience keeping them, I'd suggest not putting an Oscar in there... It really IS too small for them...

African Cichlid tanks are pretty cool... but be warned, African Cichlids are very aggressive and you'd need to research fish compatibilities. Some males need to be kept with several females... Not sure if ya want to keep a polygamous tank... ;)

My wife has two African Clawed Frogs... I wouldn't reccomend these, but it's a possibility...

Atay away from anything in the Pirhana family... They get way too big...

You could do a predator tank with a couple of triggers and keep it FOWLR... My Huma Huma trigger loves to play and fart around... Sometimes I think I entertain him as much as he entertains me...

You could do a pretty awesome blackwater community tank with neons and angels... (blackwater is the darkish brown colored water found in the amazon...) Blackwater tanks look pretty cool when set up with live plants and driftwood...

·
double cappuccino
1,633 Posts
Why don't you try your hand at clownfish breeding? I can almost guarantee that if you read Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson you will be jazzed to give it a try. And it's one of the cheaper books out there 20-25 bucks. ;)

Also, if you want to keep it saltwater, species tanks are pretty mellow and fun. If you like the stingy fishes you can keep scorpions and dwarf lions together. Frogfishes can be fun in bunches. Undulate trigger if you want a baddy. Etc...

hth,
tt

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Two words: Predator tank. :) Lions are so beautiful... one of these days, we'll have a lion tank. So that'd be my vote. The other thing that springs to mind on the tails of beach bum's suggestion, you could also try breeding banggais. (easier than clowns, and a decent retail market, too.)

Danielle

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
then theres always a snail massage parlour

there MUST be a market for that on the west coast ;)

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
beach bum said:
Why don't you try your hand at clownfish breeding? I can almost guarantee that if you read Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson you will be jazzed to give it a try. And it's one of the cheaper books out there 20-25 bucks. ;)
books huh, that will work, suggest more books. maybe i will get some books out of this also.;)

keep the suggestions coming. i remember several years ago, she really liked the sargassum angler. she thought it was cute that it tried to eat her fingers when she put them near the surface of the water.

G~

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! Great suggestions! Its going to be so hard to decide what to do. I have always liked predators, I remember trying to talk Geoff into lions or scorpions several times. He never would go for it - something about how often he has to put his hands in the tank, blah blah blah. ;) And I loved the eels we had. They were so cool to watch and feed.

That angler was really cool. He was so cute! I don't know if he could play the finger game from the bottom of a 55. Is he compatible with the other predators?

I hadn't thought about breeding. Is it hard? Is it time consuming? What happens when you go away on vacation?

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Actually Lions aren't bad at all... They have great personality and once they realize that you aren't a threat, they tend to not barb up on ya during feeding and such... Prob within a wekk I'll be able to hand feed him.. He and I are both at that final stage of trust where I'll keep my hand there and he keeps his spines down...

When I'm working in the tank, he generally stays put where he is... If I have to work where he is, I'll put my hand in the tank above him and wave it around a little to shoo him away... He complies nicely and moves to the other side of the tank...

I'm planning on getting a Dogface puffer as a tankmate for him when he goes in the 125... Kind of like a beauty and the beast thing... Lions are compatible only with LARGE fish as they will eat anything smaller than themselves... And you'd want to keep fin nippers away as they will destroy their streamers...

A community tank of dwarf lions would look sweet in a 55... ;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I also vote for dwarf lions and puffers. One is beautiful and the other apparently believes it's a pet with personality... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.