The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've been using API test kits for a long time. I've done a lot of reading but I wanted to know what you guys thought. Do you use different brands for more accurate results? Is API a good company for test kits? Let me know what you think! Thanks so much!

·
Active Anemone
1,664 Posts
I use API on all my new tanks. Testing ammonia and nitrite for the first weeks. After i get 0's i continue to use API tests for nitrate.

Now i use a brand called Salifert for the rest of my testing.(reef tank)

If you are managing a reef tank i would suggest adding these 3 to your testing while still using API.

http://www.amazon.com/Salifert-Alka...=1455117914&sr=8-7&keywords=Salifert+test+kit

PS: A phosphate tester is also not a bad purchase.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cool. Yes i have an 18 month old reef tank with great water parameters as of yesterday

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
For parameters like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH etc any of the cheaper test kits on the market should suffice. For the more critical stuff like alkalinity, calcium & magnesium the Salifert & Red Sea test kits seem to be pretty popular. GL.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ordered Salifert Cal, Mag, Alk test kits and Red Sea Iodine test kit. I still have a bunch of the API test kits for Amm, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Phos. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
380 Posts
When it comes to test kits all of them are "ball park" figures and all have a self admitted degree of inaccuracy. Much of this influenced by the human factor. I believe it was at one of the MACNAs that a single test kit for calcium was given to ten different hobbyist and no less than five different results were reported testing the same sample of water.

In the end what you will be looking for with test kits/testing is trends as opposed to exact numbers so IMO the API kits are as good as any and one of the few areas in this hobby where you are safe saving money by buying the cheapest and easiest product.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts