The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Sir Master Deuter the 3rd
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at the LFS and he was showing me of all these supplements he puts in once or twice a week by the brand Kent, like iron, iodine, calcium, strontium & molybdenum ect..

I've read online that allot of people swear that you only need to drip Kalkwasser.

On the other hand I read a great convincing article online were they use SeaChem only.
For example:
Two tablespoons Sea Chem. Reef Plus twice a week
Two tablespoons Sea Chem. Reef Complete twice a week
Two tablespoons Sea Chem. Reef Calcium twice a week
Two tablespoons Sea Chem. Reef Builder twice a week
(The article I read: http://www.garf.org/milli/125.html)

So I've obviously have done some research :read:

I think I'm going to use the SeaChem system I read in the article and also dripping a small amount of kalkwasser (probably half the dosage recomended).

-My question for you exsperienced reefers is what products and types of supplemtation do you use.
-Also what do you think of the system I may be using?

-Deuter:read:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm not sure I consider myself an experienced reefer but here is my 2 cents....

I really depends on how fast you are using up everything. Some tanks can get by with only doing water changes to boost calcium/alk/mag etc. I myself only do water changes and dose calcium and alk when needed using homemade 2 part. But I only dose after I've checked what my level are and then adjust accordingly.

Have you tested how fast you are using up calc/alk/mag?

Hope that helps,
Brian

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I use seachem and like it. However, anything I read on www.GARF.org, i like to take with a grain of salt. Although it may be good information, it is not always a realiable source. Why i say that is, there is a lot of the stuff, and information on that site that haven't been updated in years. A lot has changed and been learned in that time, so although they have some good information, definitely cross reference things first.

But, as far as seachem, I used their reef advantage calium, and reef advantage magnesium, and have been really happy with it.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Deuter -

A good rule of thumb (one of the only in the hobby that stands up over time) is to never dose anything you are not testing for. Before we can give helpful advice, it would be necessary for you to test your water and report the findings. There may be no reason to dose anything, and until you find out it can be dangerous doing so. Kalkwasser has it's risks, and I'd not recommend dosing it until you really know what's happening with using it (and this comes from someone who has precipitated their tank on more than one occassion... reminds me of some entertaining high school chem experiments, but the tank didnt enjoy it as much!). So, the questions!

What are your alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, pH, and specific gravity values?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
I ONLY dose what I can test for,.. anything past that is taken care of with water changes :)

What you use to suppliment doesn't matter that much IMHO,.. but I persnally use Baking soda, CaCl2 (Ca suppliment) and Mg Flake (Mag suppliment).

When I test I like to see the numbers:
420 PPM CA
9.0 Dkh
1275 Mg

If I don't see those numbers I dose whatever I need to bring things back there. You could use Kent CA, Kent MG, and Kent super buffer or something to boost those leves if you like, but the best advice I think is to maintain certian numbers and not dose things you don't need to.

On my Softie tank I use Kalk,.. but it doensn't quite keep up,.. so I end up dosing a little past that to maintain the numbers I listed above.

HTH,
Whiseky

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
If you change your water reg.you really don't need to add,except,..I add buffer and kalsawater to my top off.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
ONLY:
  • water changes at 10% q 2 weeks
  • calcium and alk via CO2 driven Ca reactor (MRC CR-6 )
  • Kalk for softies and occasionally in main display to kill any errant Aiptasia spp
  • RO/DI top-off water
  • occasional feeding of corals via blender mush
  • occasional CaCl2 or bicarb to correct hermatypic imbalances
  • rarely (once every year or so) Mg additive to correct for sortage when measured once every month, but not needed in a few yers now.
That and light are all that go into my systems, except my hands on occasion, and whatever I scrape off the glass once every 10 to 12 days. ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER ADDITIVE USE SINCE THE early 90'S, PERIOD.

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow everyone has something different to say

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
10% water changes every week.
kalk for top off.

that is it.

you really should not be dosing anything else. you may need to boost Ca and alk, but only if you have accurate test kits. if not it is better to let the tank do its thing with just water changes.

99% of everyones water chemistry problems are from dosing stuff. those supliments you are using will lead to Ca imbalance problem. they tend to be heavy in Ca and nothing else.

there is no reason at all to dose trace elements. they are called trace for a reason. any amount of water changes with replenish these. other than that those trace elements are nothing more than an expensive plastic bottle of RO/DI water.

Yup ... I guess I should have added that I don't do water changes.
you might want to rethink this strategy for long term success.

G~

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
well I shouldn't say "no" changes. I do one every few months, but bio-cal keeps things in check in between. I do this based on a marine biologist I know who does the same and has for 7 years now and his tanks look awsome! So I think for long term success, I will be fine.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
25 gallon water changes(150 tank) every two weeks and add nothing but food and top off water

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what's top off water?

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Replacing topoff with RO/DI water does not add any trace elements or minerals to the water, and it does not dilute the nutrients that are in the system.

There's no substitute for small, frequent water changes.

Jenn

1 - 20 of 24 Posts