The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now Im not really dosing anything into my tank, I just went and check all my water prams. and this is what I came out with

am-0
Na-less than 10
Ni-0
PH-8.0
Ca-400
alk-2.2dKh!!!

What do you guys dose with and how do you like it. I have tried limewater and its alright, but I keep hearing that some of the supplements out there are much better. Give me a rating to 1-10 of how much you like it and why.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I dose a 2 part called Kent Marine Tech CB Part A and B. It maintains my calcium around 400 and alkalinity around 9.5 dkh. I get it from marinedepot.com.

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
CA Reactor all the way! No other additives other than semi monthly 20% water changes

·
Registered
195 Posts
darren24 said:
I dose a 2 part called Kent Marine Tech CB Part A and B. It maintains my calcium around 400 and alkalinity around 9.5 dkh. I get it from marinedepot.com.
I used the same thing and really liked the results.
I would also sometimes use the Kent Liquid Reactor as well

However I recently switched to the Kent Nanoreef part A and B for other trace elements.

·
Registered
324 Posts
To raise your alkalinity you can use baking soda, not washing, but baking. I will look for a link for you on this.

·
Banned
5 Posts
I use randys homemade two part its been holding my cal + alk steady for about 3 mounth my alk is 11.2 and cal is 420 I dose it every morning

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
Hey Pillz:

Does your test kit measure alkalinity as dKH or meq/l? You might want to double-check, as having an alkalinity that low would have likely put stress on your corals that you would have noticed.

If the test kit you are using measures in meq/l, multiply that number by 2.8 to get your alkalinity in dKH.

The aceptable range for alkalinity in a reef tank, expressed in meq/l, is 2.9-4.3 meq/l (the same as 8-12 dkH after unit conversions).

HTH,
Michael

Pillz said:
Right now Im not really dosing anything into my tank, I just went and check all my water prams. and this is what I came out with

am-0
Na-less than 10
Ni-0
PH-8.0
Ca-400
alk-2.2dKh!!!

What do you guys dose with and how do you like it. I have tried limewater and its alright, but I keep hearing that some of the supplements out there are much better. Give me a rating to 1-10 of how much you like it and why.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I use to use 2 little fishies suppliments and that was ok, but now I'm using seachems reef complete (ment to buy the reef advantage calcium, but still works just as nice) and Reef carbonate, with reef buffer here and there, and I love it! I would go with a reactor, but I dont kow if they are worth it for such a small tank; anyone have any arguments to that? I guess I need to read a lil more up on those.

·
Banned
5 Posts
go to rc and check the chemistry forum look at randys 2 part its cheap as heck to make and a lot more potent that 2lil fishes or kents just add it everyday in the morning before the lights go on it won't raise your cal or alk but it will maintain them, If needed you can then raise the alk with baking soda and cal with something like turbo calcium

·
Banned
5 Posts
I forgot to mention , a 2pt balanced additive is what you want. When you start trying to do it with a weekly supplements of buffer then calcium it will become a see saw effect. cal gos up alk go's down -alk gos up cal gos down your water chemistry will get all out of whack and can get a quite bit frustrating just take a look at the rc chemistry forum

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
GLXTRIX said:
I would go with a reactor, but I dont kow if they are worth it for such a small tank; anyone have any arguments to that? I guess I need to read a lil more up on those.
I wouldn't get a ca reactor unless I wasn't able to maintain ca by dosing. So until you are at that point, I don't think you would need one.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
goodfortune said:
Hey Pillz:

Does your test kit measure alkalinity as dKH or meq/l? You might want to double-check, as having an alkalinity that low would have likely put stress on your corals that you would have noticed.

If the test kit you are using measures in meq/l, multiply that number by 2.8 to get your alkalinity in dKH.

The aceptable range for alkalinity in a reef tank, expressed in meq/l, is 2.9-4.3 meq/l (the same as 8-12 dkH after unit conversions).

HTH,
Michael
I did it again, and im using the Salifert kit. Its deff 2.2 dKh, the corals dont seem to mind it.. I guess they could always look better though.

After doing a little I want to start using Randys 2 part dosing. But the problem is finding dowflake. how can I get a hold of some?

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
gwen_o_lyn said:
I wouldn't get a ca reactor unless I wasn't able to maintain ca by dosing. So until you are at that point, I don't think you would need one.
I dissagree. I had problems keeping both alk and CA at the proper levels using chemical additives. Once I got a CA reactor, they take care of themselves.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm going to disagree as well... other levels are being affected when using the 2part (ie, magnesium). With the Ca Reactor, your getting a much more efficent way of introduction. The only reason I dont have one on my 30 is space.

If your planed biotope is primarily SPS/LPS then you'll probably need a bit of CA in there. Just keep an eye on your ammounts. Once you get to the point that youre dosing high ammounts daily, you might as well break down and get a reactor. (Besides, you know its only a matter of time until you upgrade...lol)

(btw... good catch Michael)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just to let you know its almost impossible to find dowflake or something with calcium cloride in it around GA in the summer.. but walmart pulled through for me. Its not the same brand, so before I use it im going to PM randy about it. Its called roadrunner ice melt.. Has anyone else heard of this or used it before?

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
Hey Pillz:

For Ca, you can use Prestone Driveway Heat. Dr. Farley mentions using it for making the Ca stock solution in his DIY 2-part supp. article.

It comes in a clear gallon jug with a black label in the auto care/harware section in Publix; the 1-gallon jug is ~$7.00.

HTH,
Michael

Pillz said:
I did it again, and im using the Salifert kit. Its deff 2.2 dKh, the corals dont seem to mind it.. I guess they could always look better though.

After doing a little I want to start using Randys 2 part dosing. But the problem is finding dowflake. how can I get a hold of some?

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
Sorry for the asides...to answer the original question, currently I'm dosing 2-part, until I get my regulator for my reactor running again. When my reactor was running and fully functional, I was able to keep a rock-solid 425 Ca/10 dKH.

IMO, if you are keeping a medium to large (50g and up) stony-coral dominated reef tank, the Ca Reactor is really the best option. It provides the stability in Ca and Alk supply that will keep your corals happy and thriving, and takes the work and aggravation of having to dose supps. by hand on a daily basis.

HTH,
Michael

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea thats the first place I went to. Publix takes it off the shelf for the summer. So No luck there. The stuff I bought is made by SWI I went to there website and it seems there the same company that makes prestone driveway heat.

edit-
I know I read somewhere on TRT a while back about using vodka in the tank. Has anyone tried this? I was reading an entry on RC and it seems randy actually said it would work to reduce Na if you dose 2 mL everyday. What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts