The Reef Tank banner

What products would you like to sign-up to review?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am posting this thread to have an easy way of seeing who is interested in reviewing what. I've set it up as a multiple-choice poll even though this is not really a poll - I am just using the poll-mechanism because it will create a convenient list available to all, of who is interested in reviewing what.

Please "vote" for all those product categories for which you are interested in reviewing products.

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
Perhaps that was too many:D

Essentially I'm set up to test just about anything, but I probably wouldn't change food, salt mixes or add anything that I may regret later (IE medications, supplements, etc)...

· spaceman spiff
15,672 Posts
I agree with Hop, I'd like to see all that stuff tested. What I think could be the most beneficial to the community, though, are additives/supplements, as most of them are just snake-oil. May be hard to have manufacturers share that stuff with the idea that we're going to try to show how well it does (not) work.

· Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with Hop, I'd like to see all that stuff tested. What I think could be the most beneficial to the community, though, are additives/supplements, as most of them are just snake-oil. May be hard to have manufacturers share that stuff with the idea that we're going to try to show how well it does (not) work.
Hi Chris,

I thought I was going to confuse a few by using a poll for this... :rolleyes: We are not really polling what should we review but What would you (TRT Reviewers) want to sign up to review?

Hope that clarifies and thanks for stopping by the thread :) We hope we can have you soon as a TRT Reviewer :thumbup:

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
Alan, are there any kinds of test review procedures (even basic ones) on what you would need to do to test a particular item? How you would go about testing an item might help people decide which ones they could/would test or not. For example, the Ca reactors. It would require additional equipment beyond what the Reactors come with that a tester would need to have and knowing that might change a mind. Another would be light bulbs. To be able to test light bulbs you would need the appropriate light fixture (obviously) but to get any kind of light readings on them you would need a meter for testing with. Pumps you would need a Kill-a-Watt (Or I think you would anyway) and some way to reliably measure water flow. I hope I am making sense.

I don't think you have any guidelines like that yet (too early) so I haven't voted yet. I would vote for all of them but some of them may have requirements that I can't/won't meet. If I voted and wanted to narrow my choice later, or vice versa, it would skew your poll.

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
This is why I said I was already prepared;) but you make a good point. My understanding from what I have read is that it would be there is product X for testing; Which member(s) are able to run with it and provide the feedback. Maybe I'm off base, or just a head of the conversation?

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
People tell me I tend to overthink things and I may be overthinking this one but I honestly don't think I am. Although some of them may be better reviews without the test equipment, depending on who reads the review. Someone with a heavy SPS tank would want PAR readings on MH bulbs but a new person with softies would want to know "This bulb looks purple" as opposed to knowing the PAR readings on it.
Pumps, I was thinking to check the wattage the pump actually uses and to test how much flow it produces at heights to see how accurate the literature was, to check heat output.

Yeah, I think I am over thinking this.

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
:lol: I guess the way my system is laid out makes me not have to think about it so hard. My situation is just different and have less constraints than others may have. I also have a couple systems I could set up and run with, so that makes a difference also.

Whelp, I'll check the threads when I get out of bed tonight. you all have a good day:wavey:

· Registered
2,572 Posts
Someone with a heavy SPS tank would want PAR readings on MH bulbs but a new person with softies would want to know "This bulb looks purple" as opposed to knowing the PAR readings on it.
Pumps, I was thinking to check the wattage the pump actually uses and to test how much flow it produces at heights to see how accurate the literature was, to check heat output.

Yeah, I think I am over thinking this.
I hope you are over thinking things, I do not think I have the time to give a product review in such great detail. I run my own business and have 9 and 5 year old to deal with too. Squeezing in my Saturday maintenance routine can be a struggle.

Checking power consumption and flow at different heights? I hope this isn't whats expected of me.

To be perfectly honest here, my reviews would be the "This bulb looks purple" type of review.

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
Yes, without confirmation, I am overthinking it. I think the lights might be one that can benefit from both types where you get the "This looks purple" or PAR readings. Pumps are a little different because you would basically be building a head loss curve chart for each pump and thats a manufacturers responsibility, not a reviewers. That's why I was asking about what kind of testing/reviewing criteria would be set forward so that people could make an informed decision about what they wanted to test.

· Premium Member
6,790 Posts
Alan, can you see what each member actually chose? or are you just trying to get a sense of if there is anything no one really wants to demo?

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
Does it not show for you Chris? I haven't voted so I have the "View Poll Results" link there and I can see who voted for what. I think once you vote it puts that up but I don't remember.

· Premium Member
6,790 Posts
Does it not show for you Chris? I haven't voted so I have the "View Poll Results" link there and I can see who voted for what. I think once you vote it puts that up but I don't remember.
So it does... I never knew you could do that.

I saw the total tally at first. I did not realize that once you click on a item you see actually voting data..

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
Yes, without confirmation, I am overthinking it. I think the lights might be one that can benefit from both types where you get the "This looks purple" or PAR readings. Pumps are a little different because you would basically be building a head loss curve chart for each pump and thats a manufacturers responsibility, not a reviewers. That's why I was asking about what kind of testing/reviewing criteria would be set forward so that people could make an informed decision about what they wanted to test.
Yup... You are over-thinking. This isn't consumer reports for reef tanks, nor the automobile crash industry.

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Yup... You are over-thinking. This isn't consumer reports for reef tanks, nor the automobile crash industry.
Depending on the additives it could be reef tank crash testing :D

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
I'm sure Alan will add to this but I see this being a "hobbyist" review at a "hobbyist" level for "hobbyists". Any thing above that requires much, much more than we have to include various meters, flow measuring devices, comparison equipment and peer review to be effective. This is exactly what WE did on the comparison shopping and what I think Alan wants with the hands on reviews (except much more detailed;) ). If I'm off here, let me know.

Thanks!
Hop

· Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry guys and gals - I've been out for almost 48 hours... I am now catching up on all the posts here...

I think Hop summed it up pretty well:

I see this being a "hobbyist" review at a "hobbyist" level for "hobbyists". Any thing above that requires much, much more than we have to include various meters, flow measuring devices, comparison equipment and peer review to be effective. This is exactly what WE did on the comparison shopping and what I think Alan wants with the hands on reviews (except much more detailed;) ).
And with regards to the length of the review... my thinking is that the TRT Reviewer should make a special effort to find at least 2 things he/she liked and at least 2 things she/he disliked. I will include that with a couple of additional guidelines about the tone of the reivew, etc in the "Review Guidelines" that I promised I would publish early next week - I guess it is almost "early next week" already. :)

Oh - and one quick update on the mfgs... Seachem got back to me on Friday to say they are in. They will be giving the TRT Review program a try with two products right away and if things go well, they will broaden their participation... It's a small start but I am excited and hope you are too. :beer:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.