The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting a 150 reef setup and I need a bigger skimmer than the one that I already have. What skimmer would be a good skimmer for a 150 Gallon reef setup. I don't want to spend a hell of a lot of money either. I heard people like the coralife skimmers a lot. I was also think of an ASM or a Euro-reef. Let me know what you guys think I should get for around $200 hundred or less.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
just received my reef octopus nw200 for 193 with free shipping too. I mean this thing is a beast. Looks a lot better than the sealife systems I had before but I just got it and havent had much time with it. So far so good.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I would save my money and get an MRC or somethnig along those lines. I am now installing my second skimmer because I was not happy with the first one.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Gotta agree.

I know you want to stay under $200...but if you do, you'll be wanting another better skimmer down the road....making this $200 wasted money.

Check out http://myreefcreations.com for great skimmers.

Confused? Call Andy over there. he'll give you gread advice on what's best for your tank, NOT his sales. Great guy, fantastic product.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I am waiting for my MR2 to arrive with the genX40 pump. I can't wait.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had a red sea berlin and it was really awful. I bought a coralife 220 two weeks ago and I love it. I bought it for under 200 bucks and its well worth the money so far. The only problem I've had with it was micro bubbles when I hung it on my 150 reef tank. I removed it and hung it on my sump now no problems.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I would have to agree on saving for a top notch skimmer. The money you spend now will be a waste. If you want a successful reef then there aer a few things you just need to bite the bullet on. A skimmer is one of them. This one piece of equipment is responsible for pulling all the nasty stuff out of the water. You want to get the absolute best you can do. Even if you have to wait. You wont regret waiting.
I have a 150 also. I run an MR-2 with the Gen-X pump. I have a Euroreef unit that I used on the 55 I started with. They are both great skimmers. I like the MR-2 for a couple reasons. One, it is adjustable way beyond the Euro. You can control water and air independently of each other. You have to tinker with it a bit more ( clean it a lot, change the cotton out of the silencer etc) but the return is worth it! The Euro is a great skimmer too. It pulls out lots of goo but t also has a simplicity to it that makes it great as a set and forget skimmer. You can adjust the water level but that's about it. The MR's also are expandable. I added a second beckett injector and an additional 8" to the height of the main chamber with an extension. MUCH more capable than the 300gallon rating it started at.
ASM is the same basic design as the Euros but the primary difference is that they are made out of extruded acrylic vs. the Euro's being made fro cell cast acrylic. The extruded will, over time, absorb more water and is more brittle to work with. The cost is much easier to swallow with the ASM. Being that an MRC is upgradable, if and when you decide you want a bigger tank, you don't have to invest in an even bigger skimmer brand new. Just expand. Andy, the owner, has customer service beyond compare also!

Robert

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a Euro Reef CS100 and I have to say I am impressed at how much stuff it's pulling from the water.. and I still have no corals or fish. lol. Not the cheapest skimmer out there but it seems to be a good performer!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I was thinking about getting an MRC also but my question is what is the difference between the recirculating kind and the non recirculating kind?

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I have to agree also, I do have skimmers all over the place that are just not what I wanted. But You can get some good skimmers for 250.00, the coralife super skimmer is pretty good for the money. But if You can get a good beckett skimmer. I think I spelled that right.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The best I can tell you is to goto MRC's web site spend about an hour there and go through the whole site. Andy is very thorough, detail orented and cares for his customers I have emailed him twice since my order and got replies with in hours. so spend some time on the site and see what everybody is talking about.

Fred

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I can say for sure forget that oceanic one, We have them in junk pile , The other is getting better, but You are over 200.00, Check out MRC. It will cost more, But I agree with everyone on MRC making a top of the line product. I have had dealing with him and the service You get is great.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I have the ASM G2 on a 125 gal setup and it is pulling lots of gunk out. I barely have anything in the tank either. For about $240 at saltwater.com shipping is free. I think that is a pretty good deal and it is simple to use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts