The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I'm new to the hobby and building a sump for my 90g swim tank. I think i want a 300gph return flow at the top but i have a uv sanit. with a 3/4 input and a 1" output.

So my idea is to run 3/4 from my pump to the uv light (up 1.5') then 1" to the top (3'). it wil have 2- 90 degree turns at the top.

What size pump an i looking for? and do I want 3/4 on the top have or the bottom? does it matter?
Also I need a better skimmer. Can u over skim and get a skimmer to big for tank?

thx jeff

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would think a pump capable of 700 gph at 0 feet of head would be good and install a ball valve after the pump to fine tune the return flow. It would be ok to exceed the 700 gph if you use a ball valve

·
Administrator
47,043 Posts
You need to look at how much flow through you need in the UV to accomplish whatever goal you decide for it. Keep in mind that exposure times for killing pathogens vs killing free floating algae cells are different. I am not a big fan of UV but when they are warrented I think you are better served with them on their own pump rather than putting it inline with your return.
As far as the phosphate issue with a 2 reading sounds like you are over feeding or have not dealt with detritous settled on the live rock

1 - 7 of 7 Posts