The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, was wondering how long and which lights I should turn on. I ordered the Current usa orbit 30" 2x65w pc. So, its 1 10k sunaq and 1 actinic. What should the schedule look like? Do I turn both on the whole time or am I suppose to switch it around? thanks

·
HOW MUCH!Ok I will take 2
888 Posts
Some people have different schedules but I run my 10k for 9 hours and my actinic 1 hour before and 1 hour after 10k shut off. but the actinic are on the whole time the 10k are. If that helps.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
I agree with them .My 10K are on 10 hrs and my actinics are on a hr before and a hour after the 10K and my moons on after the actinics go off till they come on the next day.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts
Got that exact setup and do what Benzzz and the rest do. It works out that the hour of twilight comes on during our last hour up so we get to see everything flouresce.

Also, I ditched the standard bulbs and got a good quality actinic and a 10,000k daytime that is ultra bright white and the tank looks way better. Can't beat the price on the fixture though. I think the bulbs are about 20 bucks each at Marine Depot or more at your local LFS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thanks all. I'm so excited ... the light just arrived. Question about the dual actinic pc that comes with the orbit though. So, I just tried it and it lights up but it seems only one of the "blue" lights up. Is that how dual actinic suppose to look like? Did I get a defective bulb or is one suppose to be this way? I think the descrip is something like 420nm/460nm. thanks

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts
One is blue and one is sort of dull purple. The purplish one was not bright on the one I got either.

When you change the bulbs to a high quality coralife or something instead of the two spectrums per bulb the tank will get way brighter and flouresce way more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One is blue and one is sort of dull purple. The purplish one was not bright on the one I got either.

When you change the bulbs to a high quality coralife or something instead of the two spectrums per bulb the tank will get way brighter and flouresce way more.
Thanks for your response. I guess the other one is so dull that I can't even tell if it's lit. I can't stare for so long since I would like to keep my eye sight lol :p. I would like to get new bulbs but I figure it would be a waste changing out already new bulbs.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts
Thanks for your response. I guess the other one is so dull that I can't even tell if it's lit. I can't stare for so long since I would like to keep my eye sight lol :p. I would like to get new bulbs but I figure it would be a waste changing out already new bulbs.

I thought that too, but the difference was so dramatic I am glad I popped for the two bulbs. The 10,000K bulbs are intense white and the pure actinic at dawn and twilight looks so much better and the corals at dusk just glow green. For 40 bucks it was worth it for me, but I waited for a drygoods order for other stuff to save on shipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts