The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add a clean up crew to my 75 gallon tank before the fish go in. Help me figure out how much of what I should get and from where. Thank

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to help keep algae out of my tank as much as possible as well as remove some detritus. Also need something to help keep my sand clean

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
well, as the CUC will certainly eat the algae, you still have to clean their poop. a CUC will not remove detritus, they will simply just turn it to poop.

you should be keeping the sand clean through waterchanges

I find my lone Mexican turbo snail does well keeping the algae that grows from using tapwater to a minimum in my 10g tank

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well my 75 gallon tank is going to need a lot more help than just a snail. There are alot of places I cant get to, to clean the sand bed of waste so I was looking for a good bit of information on the topic, not someone telling me things I already know.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
well excuse me then, you didn't specify in your post your intentions when I asked 'what are your intentions'. nor did you say you know what your doing. which obviously you don't or you would know cleaning that sand you cant get to wont get clean unless YOU do it.

if there are places in your sandbed that you cant get to they will collect nutrients and then leech them into your system when that particular spot becomes full of nutrients. you cannot rely on other creatures to keep those places clean for you because they simply will not. unless of course you have tremors sifting through your sandbed. tremors did great for mixing up the sandbed in the movie. but even they didn't remove the detritus.

point is, if YOU cannot clean the sandbed, its not going to get cleaned. that's the point. this isn't the ocean, and even the earth has other ways of cleaning the sand besides the waves of the sea.

if you would like more information on how self sustaining tanks are not possible, sand cleaning alternatives and plenty of other information you should read the 'reefkeeping made easy' thread linked in my signature.

p.s. im a very nice guy. but if you want to come onto a forum and post smart alic comments like this:
well my 75 gallon tank is going to need a lot more help than just a snail. There are alot of places I cant get to, to clean the sand bed of waste so I was looking for a good bit of information on the topic, not someone telling me things I already know.
don't expect anything back besides knowledge, information and someone else to hit back with another smart comment just as you did.

I was giving you an example of a member of a tidy up crew, because they don't clean, just eat and poop, that works for some algae. but I guess you knew that.

sorry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts