The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,385 Posts
how low are we talking here. 8.0-7.9 ok below that is iffy. Usually pH is dependent on your other paramters in your tank like calcium, carbon dioxide and alkalinity. If those are in good ranges. pH should stay in the 8.1-8.4 range.

Most low pH drops are due to high CO2 and low O2 levels. This causes carbonic acid to from and that lowers pH. The Remedy? Get some more aeration and open a window to let some fresh air in.

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how low are we talking here. 8.0-7.9 ok below that is iffy. Usually pH is dependent on your other paramters in your tank like calcium, carbon dioxide and alkalinity. If those are in good ranges. pH should stay in the 8.1-8.4 range.

Most low pH drops are due to high CO2 and low O2 levels. This causes carbonic acid to from and that lowers pH. The Remedy? Get some more aeration and open a window to let some fresh air in.
Yah I just noticed today some increased brown algae growth, on one side of the tank, my tank is currently in its second week.

· Premium Member
26,774 Posts
your tank will get into the "uglies" soon this is the "first" nutrient cycle your tank will get into. it comes just after the nitrogen cycle ;)

also your low pH I would not worry about unless you already have live stalk, IME pH did not stabilize until the 2-3rd month. what is your current pH reading?

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
your tank will get into the "uglies" soon this is the "first" nutrient cycle your tank will get into. it comes just after the nitrogen cycle ;)

also your low pH I would not worry about unless you already have live stalk, IME pH did not stabilize until the 2-3rd month. what is your current pH reading?
Not sure just used some cheap strips, getting an api kit this weekend

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ok so yah, I have some Live stock in the tank, 4 snails, 2 peppermint shrimp, 2 small blue legged hermit crabs, 1 emerald crab and 1 yellow tailed Damsel. They are all seeming to do great, I've had them in since this past friday. My LFS said it wouldn't hurt to try since the rock I got from him was fully cured, I also got my water from him premixed and top off water since my water is horrible and very high in Iron. So if it is the nutrient cycle that I am in, is there anything I should watch out for? I will be posting picks of the progress from day 1 till now later this evening to give you guys a better understanding.

· Registered
281 Posts
Not sure just used some cheap strips, getting an api kit this weekend
If you planning to order more than $50 in merchandise, check out Fostersandsmithaquatics.com

they awesome price and Free shipping over $50.

Good luck on your tank. :beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.