The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 180 gal tank. It's been established for over 3 years now and I still have plenty of room left for more stuff, but just don't know what I want to put in it next, rock, anenomes or hard/soft corals. Here is a list of the bio-load:

Vlamingi Tang
Liutenant Tang
Sailfin Tang
Royal Blue Tang
2 False Perculas
Coral Beauty
2 Orange Spotted Gobies
Lawnmower Blenny
Six Line Wrasse
3 Blue Chromies
Banded Cat Shark (Just hatched from egg 4 days ago)
2 Cleaner Shrimp
Serpent Star

I just wanted some opinions on what type of anenomes or corals would look good to add. I just started dripping kalk for the first time last night and I'm looking to get the purple coralline algae back up. I have 2ea 400w and 1ea 250w 14k metal halides. If you want me to list more specs or type of equipment I use, I'll post that, just didn't want to bore everyone with it. I also have more pics if you see something you want me to post a close up of.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
I wouldn't add any more fish or anemone's. As far as corals go what kind of look do you want for the tank, are you more into sps or lps? Beautiful tank BTW

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Color, I just want it to stand out more. Okay, since I've never had them, what is the difference between sps and lps? Let alone, what do the acronyms stand for? LOL I'm a blonde.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And thanks for the compliment xtopher, didn't want you to think I was smug.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
lps=large polyped stony (or scleractinian) or small polyped stony=sps. the difference is that lps have a hard calcerous body and soft fleshy polyps. sps have a calcerous skeleton except they have a very thin fleshy membraine and small polyps. the sps are much more colourful IMO but require more care and higher light

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use 1050w 14k XM's and I also use an Ampmaster 3600 external pump for return. I have a CPR CY194 sump w/built in skimmer, through a 40w UV sterilizer, then through a 1/3 HP chiller. I replaced the bio-bale that came with the sump with a pound of crushed coral. So far, so good. I keep the temp at 76 year round and the lights come on at 3:00 and off at 11:00.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Water parameters:

Calcium 500+
Alk 10.4
Magnesium 1450
PH 8.1
Salinity 1.025
Temp 76 degrees
Nitrate, Nitrite, Phosphate, Ammonia 0PPM

I add Reef Vital DNA, Strontium and Iodine once a week. I feed a mixture of brine, squid, vegetable cubes every other day and the other days hang green algae.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
are you planning on getting a larger tank soon? do you know how big that shark gets? it will prolly grow pretty quickly with all of those nice food fish in there. :D look up Chiloscyllium punctatum if you would like more info on them. neat fish but are a bit of trouble in a tank like yours. they also prefer to feed at night, so you might need to do some late night feedings if you want it to not eat the critters in the tank.

G~

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a banded cat shark, they get about 12-14 inches long, at least that's what my LFS told me. I was told they have discs for teeth and won't harm anything. My buddy has had one in his 75 gal tank for 3 months now and it hasn't disturbed a thing and he feeds it squid once a week. Am I being totally naive about this? Should I remove him and take him back? Buehler, buehler......

·
Registered
163 Posts
what to add next.... lets see... a 180 gal, i think is 6' long, 76 degrees year round, oooh i got it. how about a 5'-8", 170 pound guy from mass with a snorkel and flippers. the only thing is youll heve to add cheeseburgers to your daily feeding list. but seriously, have you thought of some of the more colorful clams. how bout some shrimp

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i suggest getting the Scott Michael book on Aquarium sharks. the banded cat shark reaches 40" in length it is recommended tank size is 170g tank. you are within the range, but that size is for an empty shark tank not a reef tank with lots of LR.

they will eat anything that they can suck up quickly. in the beginning it will be your hermits, than your shrimp, than your small fish. at about 12-14" in length it will prolly lose its stripes and get its adult colouration, or is it lack of colouration. they become a solid grey colour.

G~

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a clam in there now, I provided a picture because I do not know what kind it is. I've had it for about 3 months and I love it. I had another clam that was bigger and more colorful, but it didn't make it, why, I haven't a clue. Somebody told me that my Coral Beauty probably killed it, but the other clam is doing great, and I have never seen the Coral Beauty disturb it. It doesn't hang out of it's shell like the others I've seen and I wonder about that. I posted a couple of months ago about it, but nobody gave me an answer. Anybody have any other suggestions? I would love to add 3-4 more clams.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, the Shark is going back. I already had a bad experience with a 15" diameter Green Carpet who ate my 5 year old Powder Blue, Yellow Tang and Royal Blue Tang. I don't need anything else to come up missing, I would be seriously peeved. Live and learn!!!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
so any way, back on topic, i would say a nice hammer, frogspawn or such, i really like those. plate coral, a nice pretty brain coral. platygira, (spell?) any of the polyps i think are great, i would add a ton of those, they come in many different colors, (zoanthus, etc) it seems to me you have a great set up to take care of pretty much any coral you think looks cool, i dont know anything about the small pulyp stonie corals, so if you like those, id ask around. but the lps (first ones i mentioned) and the soft corals would be really cool too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going shopping on friday and get a couple of things. That's what's great about where I live, there are literally 25 Tropical Fish shops within a 25 mile radius. Check out Vividaquariums.com, that is where I buy alot of my corals and such. He has a huge flush system that simulates the tide and it blows my mind whenever I walk in there. I'll try to get some pics the next time I'm there and post them. He has two 12lx4wx12h tubs connected together with three 2" bulkheads and a 100 gallon tank that sits about 5 feet above and it releases the water every minute or so. Amazing. He has a clam that is about 16 inches in diameter and I am in awe everytime I see it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts