The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had saltwater for years , but have never thought to ask this queston. i use coralife salt, is there a better kind like red sea........or are they all they same.........?

·
Banned
238 Posts
I used Tropic Marin Pro. Levels seem fine most of the time (had a problem recently). Then again I have never tried IO or Kent. I used Coralife for a bit because it was cheper in price. I am thinking of testing the new Red Sea Pro Reef salt out. Supposed to keep calc at 440 or something for almost a week.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
instant ocean for me. I noticed when we were visiting the Mall of America and went on the behind the scene tour of the aquarium there that they use IO too. It was a real big bag of it. Wow!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,088 Posts
Io,,,,,,,

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
IO's Reef Crystal's here.

tims said:
i use IO my self. but if you do a thread search you can find a lot of threads with various comparisons and break downs of the differant salts we use..
I recommend doing this, as there's a LOT of good info here on what people use, what the various levels of each mix are...etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have used a few different salts. I started with Instant Ocean back in 98.

I tried Kent but it didn't mix well and it made the water very cloudy. I am not sure if it was a bad batch but I didn't try a second bag.

I also used Reef Crystals but I couldn't see much of a difference between it and IO except for a vitamin smell in the mixing bucket.

I tried Tropic Marin and it seemed okay but it was expensive compared to IO at the time.

I tried Oceanic and it seemed to have had an adverse impact on my SPS when I kept them. It might have not been related to the salt but a couple of my SPS bleached while using it. These were corals that were in my tank for a good amount of time. I also had corals bleach while using IO but the particular corals that I was referring to above bleached right after using Oceanic.

With all that said, I am back to using Instant Ocean exclusively on my show tank. I still have new bucket of Oceanic that I will use for my prop tank and rock cooking bucket but the main tank will only see IO from now on.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
IO here as well. I started with it and (with what I have in the tank) I haven't seen any reason to switch.

If it ain't broke...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts