The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after spending $50 in the last 2 weeks on mixed SW and RO water, I finaly decided to buy a RO/DI unit...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Reef-Aquarium-RO-DI-Reverse-Osmosis-Water-Filter-75-gpd_W0QQitemZ7771901891QQihZ018QQcategoryZ20756QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Along with an inline TDS meter...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7772517790

Questions...

Is there one brand of salt that seems to be the best?

Do you buy your salt on-line? Or, is it too costly to ship?

I have extra powerheads - so mixing shouldnt be a problem. What do you mix yours in? How long will the mix last...if it's covered, heated, & the powerhead is on? Got a pic of your mixing station? Looking for ideas.

I'd like to plan before the unit arrives. I'm sure the directions will tell me...
do I plumb in before or after the water softener. BTW I have well water.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
do not buy salt online, the shipping kills. Buy it from the LFs. I would suggest absulutley nothing but Kent or Instant Ocean/ Reef crystals. IMO, reef crystals. I dont know anything about ro/di units so I cant help you there. Mine is mixed in a 10 Gal scoop away container which I seal and age overnight or use immeditly.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
dobbs said:
Well, after spending $50 in the last 2 weeks on mixed SW and RO water, I finaly decided to buy a RO/DI unit...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Reef-Aquarium-RO-DI-Reverse-Osmosis-Water-Filter-75-gpd_W0QQitemZ7771901891QQihZ018QQcategoryZ20756QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Along with an inline TDS meter...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7772517790

Questions...

Is there one brand of salt that seems to be the best?

THERE IS NO BEST, IO, REEF CRYSTALS, ARE FINE.

Do you buy your salt on-line? Or, is it too costly to ship?

NEVER HAVE MYSELF ALWAYS THE LFS.

I have extra powerheads - so mixing shouldnt be a problem. What do you mix yours in? How long will the mix last...if it's covered, heated, & the powerhead is on? Got a pic of your mixing station? Looking for ideas.

I MIX MINE IN A 5 GALLON JUG. PROBABLY YOU ONLY NEED 24 HOURS TO EQUILIBRATE. I DONT KNOW HOW LONG IT WILL LAST BUT OVER TIME YOUR SG WILL GO UP FROM EVAPORATION. I DONT KNOW WHY YOU WOULDNT JUST MIX IT WHEN YOU NEED IT AND ADD IT AFTER 24HOURS.

I'd like to plan before the unit arrives. I'm sure the directions will tell me...
do I plumb in before or after the water softener. BTW I have well water.

HMM INTERESTING QUESTION. THE SOFTENER JUST SUBSTITUTES SODIUM IONS FOR CALCIUM AND MAGNESIUM. THE CONSEQUENCE OF THIS DECISION EFFECTS THE LIFESPAN OF THE MEMBRANE AND THE OTHER FILTERS, MORE THAN THE HEALTH OF THE TANK, I WOULD THINK. I SUSPECT THAT AFTER THE SOFTENER WOULD BE EASIER ON THE UNIT, BUT I DONT HAVE ANY GOOD EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE TO BACK ME UP ON THIS.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Comments inserted in the quote, in CAPS.

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
afbengochea said:
has anyone ever used oceanic? I was given some of it, was wondering if its any good
It is good salt just to much $$ for me to keep buying.

The only reason i use IO is becuase it is the cheapest salt my LFS sells.:lol: :lol: ohh and yeah it is good salt.

Tim

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I have always used oceanic. One of the better priced here as well. I do 5 gallon water changes so I use a 10 gallon trash can (new of course) and mix as needed. Run with powerhead 24 hrs and then change. I use distilled water(no ro/di at my walmart). Never had any problems.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HMM INTERESTING QUESTION. THE SOFTENER JUST SUBSTITUTES SODIUM IONS FOR CALCIUM AND MAGNESIUM. THE CONSEQUENCE OF THIS DECISION EFFECTS THE LIFESPAN OF THE MEMBRANE AND THE OTHER FILTERS, MORE THAN THE HEALTH OF THE TANK, I WOULD THINK. I SUSPECT THAT AFTER THE SOFTENER WOULD BE EASIER ON THE UNIT, BUT I DONT HAVE ANY GOOD EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE TO BACK ME UP ON THIS.
I emailed the company about this. Here is their response...

You can use it in either place. If you have very hard water, using softened water will help to prolong the life of the unit some. But you will get the same quality water in either place.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I use Kent Reef Salt, always have, and my LFS carries it relatively cheap in big buckets. I have a Kent Maxxima RO/DI unit and they told me to use a flush kit ($11 online) on the membrane every six months because I have extremely hard water.

HHC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts