The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 gallon and I'm looking to add flow to my tank. Right now I have 2 mag 7's running in my sump. One goes directly back to to the tank and the other goes to my chiller and back to the tank. I have 1 maxijet 900 in the display blowing length wise.

I'm thinking of getting 2 seios but I'm not sure which model to buy. I'm scared I would get too big and then I would be dealing with sand storms. I am also taking suggestions whether to get more or less seios. Please also include ideas for placement. My built in overflow is on the left side but there is room to put one there.

I remember seeing a thread for some sort of magnetic attachment to powerheads so suction cups aren't needed. Anyone provide a link???

Thanks always for reading,
Brian

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
IMO - Tunze Streams are much better.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
yeah the one you are talking about the magnet holder is a MOD you can just get any cleaner magnet and paint it black and then the hang on items that come with the Seio it has a slider thing so you glue the slider thing to the magnet and the slider to the pump and wala looks really clean and is waaaay stronger than the suction cups of course. and you can mount it anywhere you want since its attached with the magnet :D sorry i can get you a link but if you go to RC and type something like Mag mod or something you should get something well gota go i am working on my sink its clogged mehhh i cant to plumbing on my tank but can on the house lol

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow lots of questions. Let me see if I can address them. Right now I have a bubble, purple tip frogspawn, brown frogspawn, open brain, fox coral and a crocea clam. I'm not planning on any sps corals for while. But this is an addiction so I wouldn't mind having the capablity of doing both. Does that help any?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
I think I would probably do 2 820's if your rock is very loosly stacked and you don't have very much of it.

If you have allot of rock (1+ LB/Gal) I would probably go with the 1100 deals.

You could set this up so the powerheads are in the back left and right corners of the tank toward the top of the water so you have higher flow where your SPS would be, and lower flow for your sand and LPS.

Expect some sand storms at first if you go with the 1100's, but they will settle down IME.

JMHO
Whiskey

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have about 90+ LB of lr. 2200 gph seems like a HUGE sand storm. So you would place them both in the corners and point them straight to the front of the glass?

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
well i have been trying to run a search over on RC for the magnet mod, and all its been giving for the last hour is function has been disabled...

i found one on TRT by Tim, but his is with a magfloat and maxi jets...

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
The Mjs modded would work great for your tank I have one and the flow is great.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
I would do a maxijet mod befoer adding a SEIO IME. My Seio last 6 months before dieing. Ya get what you pay for.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought SEIO's are suppose to be well constructed powerheads. Anyone else have the same issues with the reliablity of Seios? Does anyone have a link to buy the maxijet mod?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Saw a demo on those at an LFS, looked cool.

My Seio's ran for quite a while, and I got them used, the person before me got them when they first hit the market. The 2 I am talking about are 1, 1500 and 1, 620. The 820 I had I bought new, but it ran fine for a year or so before I removed it to install my Tunze.

Whiskey

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
I would do a maxijet mod befoer adding a SEIO IME. My Seio last 6 months before dieing. Ya get what you pay for.

What do u mean u get what u pay for?? Number one maxi jets are alot cheaper then the Seio's. So this does not make any sense. I would rather have a Tunze, but cant efford the Tunzes so i went with Seios instead.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What makes the Tunzes so good. If I wanted a tunze, which one would you suggest? Is it really worth the extra money for the Tunzes?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts