The Reef Tank banner
7K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Timmy77 
#1 ·
My sump needs more filtration. My local hardware store sells carbon filter pads that are made for ponds. Will they work ok? I was thinking of cutting it to size and putting in my first baffle that goes to the return chamber. It is a 39 gallon sump on a 125 gallon tank with a mag 18 for return. I did add a skimmer but I need a bigger pump for it. The is also chateo in the center section. Pic's included.

See less See more
#7 ·
Usually the carbon that is sold for ponds and freshwater tanks isn't as good for reefs, it leaches phosphates and doesn't do a good job of adding hardness to the water. I bought some cheapie carbon filter pads and they disintegrated in my sump, made a mess. I would just buy some reef carbon and put it in a bag, easy to change and keep an eye on it!

HHC

#9 ·
thekid55 said:
id just get carbon that is made for fish tanks. and i also like to use Lava rock in my filters and sumps. you can get it from home depot for $4 bucks.
Lava rock needs to be cleaned thoroughly very often to avoid nitrate and possible hydrogen sulfide contamination. I would not recommend doing that.

#14 ·
Whichever media you decide to use, a reactor is the way to go. On my 55 gal cichlid tank, I have a Purigen pouch in a HOB filter. Maybe 20% of the media is exposed to flowing water. On my 90gal salt tank, I run 2 reactors in my sump, 1 with purigen and 1 with Phosban. Just watching every micro bead dance around the chamber shows you how much exposure the medias get. Best $30 I have ever spent.

#19 ·
Most carbon is good for 3-4 weeks. But a really good approach, is to take the amount you'd normally use, and split it in two! Changing one every month. That way you have one fairly new bag of carbon, and one not-so-new one in there at all times. (thanks to TDWyatt for that tip).

But I have a question...WHY do you feel you need more filration in your sump? Is it simply cause you have the room? If so, not a good reason. Skimming is the BEST filtration you can get. Anything that traps crap is bad cause that means the skimmer can't get to it.

Things like sponges, filter pads, etc are not really ideal...as it just traps excess food/poop/etc until it can break down, leaving behind gray matter, but allowing the chemically bad things like phophates/nitrates/etc to float freely back into the water column. This process really only takes a few hours...so unless you're cleaning out these things that often, it's better to let the food/poop/etc float back into the water so hopefully the skimmer can get it next time around.

Best reason for using carbon is to combat possible chemical wars going on in the tank. Using it simply to filter crap out of the water is probably not the best idea, unless you dont' have a good skimmer.

Just wanted to add that.

#20 ·
skeety said:
Best reason for using carbon is to combat possible chemical wars going on in the tank. Using it simply to filter crap out of the water is probably not the best idea, unless you dont' have a good skimmer.
good point.......I like some people below DO think its much more effective to run carbon through a simple $30 canister filter when you do and one other indication you need to run come carbon is if you stick your nose over the tank and the water smells.....carbon will eliminate the odor as well

#21 ·
The reason I added carbon was to make the water crystal clear . And it worked in just 24 hours. And no I don't have a skimmer running.:eek: I will I just need to find the right pump for it. It's a red sea berlin 25-200. After I bought it I found out that there probably not so great.:confused: ANy one have a good smimmer for sale or better yet for trade.

#22 ·
skeety said:

Just wanted to add that.
There are somethings that carbon will remove that skimmers will not. I have no examples other than the chemicals the softies use.

#23 ·
Timmy77 said:
The reason I added carbon was to make the water crystal clear . And it worked in just 24 hours. And no I don't have a skimmer running.:eek: I will I just need to find the right pump for it. It's a red sea berlin 25-200. After I bought it I found out that there probably not so great.:confused: ANy one have a good smimmer for sale or better yet for trade.
Buy a sedra 3500 for that skimmer and it will work good (not great but good). If you buy the 5000 it may be to much pump for the skimmer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.