The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you wanted to be under say $300 what LEDs would you buy for a 65g tank?

Dimensions are 36w -18deep and 23tall

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
with that depth......id go with a 250 halide, I wouldn't go with led's......not yet at least. I have been running led's for a year....just went back to halides.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
DIY all the way.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Fishboy. What LEDs did you have and what did you do with them?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to do the DIY but I know nothing about that stuff

I have 4 T5s now 39w each

Fihsboy why u go back from LEDs?

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
I will tell you. And im not taking a jab at anyone, but ime.......90% of the people that praise led's and tell you that they are the best thing since sliced bread....have not ran them. That being said I LOVED the colors I got....but my growth just wasnt the same as a halide. And the colors of the diy leds just dont compare to a ushio bulb. thats ime and imo.......I have been in the hobby for 5 years now.....no where near as long as some of these guys......but LED's have a ways to go in my book to compare with a MH.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
I had built a 24 led CREE XP-e and XP-g setup. They were all running at 70% since this is the max lumen output/par output without overdriving the bulbs. (also the most efficient per lumen) It was BRIGHT, but it just wasnt doing it for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwc-wKQ_jBk

also....I will update the video and you will see the difference in colors and PE.......its absolutly insane.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I will tell you. And im not taking a jab at anyone, but ime.......90% of the people that praise led's and tell you that they are the best thing since sliced bread....have not ran them. That being said I LOVED the colors I got....but my growth just wasnt the same as a halide. And the colors of the diy leds just dont compare to a ushio bulb. thats ime and imo.......I have been in the hobby for 5 years now.....no where near as long as some of these guys......but LED's have a ways to go in my book to compare with a MH.
I would pretty much disagree here. I am running them over my 33 long, albeit shallower than what he has, but I think his depth is certainly within the realm of LED's... if he had an extraordinarily deep tank, like a 31" I would suggest against it. Now, i will say that I like the LED's so much that I probably never go back to MH. I find the coloration to be on par with my Phoneix 14K that I am use to running as well....What was your ratio as far as blue:white?

I guess as with anything else, this is a matter of opinion...

Now a question... why did you need to start yet another thread on this? You already have one with lots and lots of replies...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya I have some about LEDs in general but I want some actual led units suggested with now a Budget in mind I can actually look at some fixtures and was hoping for some links to fixtures people already-does that explain it?

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
50/50 blue and white. both on seperate drivers. I agree its opinion for sure, but for me it just washed out some of the corals. My LPS grew stagnant in growth.....hows your growth so far tony? My sps took off and softies stopped with the lps. I just saw better results with the halide so I went back.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I went to LEDs from MH based on assumptions and opinions of everyone else. I liked the benefits of electricity and alledged growth. I am thrilled with my growth of corals. My acros are growing very quickly but are nothing compared to my birdsnest and montis. For instance my birdsnest grew very slow under my MH. Here's a pic of it on day one.

The next pic is one month into MH.

The last pic is less than one month under LEDs.

The pics are poor quality but you get the idea.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just want some diff feed back now that I have a budget of $300 and some opinions of diff people as well...what's it matter anyways? Not to sound rude at all

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So if I went to MH, which ones would do the trick? Would u incorporate my T5s as well?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I havent got anything in the tank currently as it is just a startup... I will be getting PAR readings on them in a couple weeks. I did not use the CREE's though, and it appears that is why I am so happy with my coloration. The CREE whites seem to be quite overpowering of the blues, unlike mine. It has been mentioned that you should run 2:1 blue:white with the CREE's, and after seeing your video I can see why. I would not have been happy with that either.

Mine is definitely more blue than yours. if you would like to see what 1:1 b:w ebay LED's look like PM me and I will attach a pic as I dont want to muddy up this thread with my stuff again...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Link to those lights?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
To what lights?

The ones I am talking about is all DIY...

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Both of you are wrong, I've found many LED fixtures for under $300, once again I didn't know I would be criticized for wanting more knowledge on these, the question i asked is completely different than the other threads, I didn't know I had to go through you 2 before I posted questions

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
The point is they are all pretty much the same subject...you could have asked these "different" question all within the same thread...

There may be fixtures out there under $300, but whether they are worth a cent is debatable...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya but I don't want the same people opinions I want diff opinions from diff people that's my pointe

I've found Ecoray LEDs, all really good fixture and I like there research try have done, check them out.... I've got a quote of there refurb 60d for $200

1 - 20 of 58 Posts