The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
not sure of the species, but I think thats one of the sps eating pest sea stars, its about the size of a nickel right? you should try and get rid of it if you have sps

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the same thing. Now I have to try and find it. Accually it's about half the size of a nickle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
bad star... they multiply rapidly my splitting. ive been removed around 50 or so over the last 4 or 5 yrs.i remove all that i can see (usually around 5)every month .but always one escapes detection. for the most part they are seen eating algae on tank and rocks.but i have seen them eating zoas on occassion probably when hungry.so im not to aggressive about removing them but if i see the near any zoas then they definitely get the boot.there is some info at garf.com about predatory stars

Reynaldo

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good call, the ones they showed is the one I have. Now that this one is out of the tank lets see how many more pop up.

thanks.

·
Registered
737 Posts
yeah but then you have to feed the harlequins...such awesome looking shrimp, always wanted a pair, but dont want to have to feed them starfish.

you'd have to have a lot of these little stars to support a harlequin wouldnt you?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well none of my sps looks nibbled on and everything seems to be doing OK so I'm not gonna stress it until I notice something going on.

·
Registered
423 Posts
start farming them.and freeze and sell as a harlequin food. j/k i can see it now .five years from now filthy rich. and it started from one itty bitty star....lol....

Reynaldo

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
they prefer lanika (sp?) stars in the wild, but can easily subsist on mini stars as well as chocolate chip stars.

they are not coral feeders, just obligate star feeders.

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
not sure, the harlequin would have to catch it, which is not too easy on brittle stars i would guess.

sand sifters i know nothing about.

·
ALWAYS MORE 2 LEARN!!
1,304 Posts
I have read that astrina(sp?) are fine to have in your tank unless you see the color "red" on them and then they are trouble, but 90% of astrina stars are harmless. I wish I could remember where I read this but can't.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts