The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinds of LPS and SPS corals can tolerate each other I've been wanting to have both types in my tank since I've finally got bright LEDS that can support SPS corals but i know LPS corals leach chemicals into the water that harm SPS and since SPS like cleaner nutrient poor water which can tolerate each other?

is it even possible to do this?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Some corals if aggravated will leach chemicals into the water. It's only if they been threatened. LPS can survive just fine in low nutrient water as long as they get enough nutrition from feedings. I have a mixed reef right now. A few softies, LPS dominate, and a couple SPS. They are low matenience SPS, birdsnest, pocillipora, hydnopora, and soon to be stylopora. I stay away from acros because I love LPS! I love the movement. Also I want to warn you. I have a 300W led fixture I made with High end Cree LEDs. Be careful adding additional light to LPS. I bleached the tops of my torch, FSs, and hammers by turning up my fixture 10% slowly over two weeks. Two weeks after the additional lighting my LPS were ticked! So use the brightness wisely. With great power comes great responsibility! Lol

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Ps decide what type of coral you want to keep. Then stick with it. Make a plan early and weigh the pros cons and deal breakers. I have seen massive SPS dominant tanks. I know if I spent the money I could have one. My lights would support it easily. But.. I LOVE LPS. So I keep my tank personality that way. To me not having Euphyllias,Acans,favias, blastomussa, and zoanthus would be a deal breaker. Also keep SPS at least 6-7 inches from any LPS. They have VERY long sweeper tentacles that come out at night. Some during the day and will sting and kill most sps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol i also just got a clam and i might have light shocked it since he opens half an inch. but anyways i really like Euphyllia like torch corals and bird nests so I'm glad its possible

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Many people do it actually. I want to have the whole right top
Of my tank be different birdsnest and hopefully it will grow to the top of the water! Also montipora do well with LPS. I forgot I have quit a bit in my tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts