The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After battling a major algae problem for two months, my tank is finnally stable and I want to introduce some fish. Im looking for the perfect combination of fish that have character and personality. Im also looking for something exotic and not so common.

My tank is only 50 gallons, so my bio load probably isnt that much which is why I want to choose hte perfect fish. What would you guys recommend?

Ive thought about the following fish but would like to know if there are problems with keeping these in a reef.

Coral Beauty, flame angel, blue tang, mated pair of clowns, or wrasses (are these reef safe?).

How about eels? what kind of problems can I encounter with a snowflake eel or ribbon eel. I successfully kept both of these species in a non reef environment, but what problems can occur in a reef? Ive read about the difficulties with feeding the ribbon eel, but I never had this problem with mine.

ANy suggestions would be great!!

D.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
well if you use an eel you will never have a clean up crew. they will be an expensive lunch for him.
wrasse's ...... :eek: so far each type has it's own thoughts of if it thinks your LR or other things in the tank taste good. had a realy nice rainbow wrasse who loved to pick at anything at least once. watched him eat a feather duster!

clowns.. NP
blue tang NP

the other two shold be NP but not sure how they get along with everyone else.
i am sure casey or tom or dad or doug or ....... will chime in on this for ya.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
angels are hit and miss on the reef-safe thing. eels are great but like tims said they will eat your clean up crew and any other shrimp you have in the tank. a 50 is a little small for a tang.

Genicanthus angels are more reef safe than the others. most of Ecsenius blennies are great. clownfish are good, but they can get territorial and mean depending on the species. the smaller fairy wrasses are good, but the larger ones are very aggressive eaters and will eat just about anything. a single anthias would be a good choice for the tank. like a squareback. just one.

G~

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have a flame and coral beauty which don't pick at anything, but I've been told this is an exception. A better choice would be the clowns. If you get to juviniles they most likely will grow up to be a mated pair! I love all the gobies because most clean the sand or eat algae, are pretty, and are good mannered.

·
Snorkelholic
441 Posts
I have a purple tang, yellow wrasse, coral beauty (does not pick), cardinal, blenny, pseudochromis, and three chromis.... in a 110.

all these guys get along fine.

turns out the most aggressive is the smallest - the strawberry pseudochromis... he's almost like an old grouper that I had in a FOWLR.

stay away from eels in reef tanks if possible - too much of a meat eater.

I always suggest starting with 3 or 5 chromis, over damsels. Chromis are hearty, they school and are still cool to look at.

Good luck!

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
I got a Six line wrasse. The wrasse constantly swims through the rockwork. When I go near the tnak the wrasse comse out and winks its eyes.

I also have 2 clowns (Pyranha's) that attack me every time I go into the tank to fix or clean something.

·
Registered
132 Posts
May I suggest

I would think about either the Pearly Jawfish(awesome personality) or a six line wrasse. Very coolio. Also the zebra or the sleeper headed gobies are very cool. How bout a flame back angel? They are amazing looking.

PM if you wanna hear a trove(read I own one. not a fish expert) of "info" on Jawfishes.

:p

MPLS_Gazer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.