The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these eggs are on my glass In my refugium there are thousands of them!

they might be snail eggs?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
jOE, they could be anything.

Trying to ID them from a photo, even a good photomicrograph, is next to impossible. However, I will say that it is most likely that they're snail eggs, especially if you have snails, but could be anything that uses eggs that adhere to the substrate as a reproductive strategy.

Sorry to be so vague.

HTH

·
Registered
498 Posts
Dont know what type of eggs, but it is a nice pic of the flatworms and eggs...

Good luck in your ID hunt.
Chris

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
your kidding me right? you think they are all over in my main tank??? The glass is covered in coraline I thought thats what that was? I don't see any traces of them on my sps?

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow I guess I'll look a little harder when I get home...Ok Tom what should I do? If They are in the fuge do you think they are in the main display?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
wow I guess I'll look a little harder when I get home...Ok Tom what should I do? If They are in the fuge do you think they are in the main display?
Yup.

For every FW specimen you see, here are at least 10 you don't see. Search the threads for info on the product "Flatworm Exit" by Salifert, best of the remedies for this issue, expecially if you do not have many flatworms. Just keep in mind that the product works by lysing the flatworms: they subsequently release their toxic body fluids into the tank water hich may poison your fishes and inverts. Read JennM's thread on her treatment of an infestation of these FW's. Read the threads a few times before getting this stuff, but FW's can and will take over a substrate if not caught in time, so don't delay any longer than necessary. The idea is to remove as many from the system as possible before unleashing the treatment (you have to mutter several times, then shout it out at least once: "die, SKUM!" while treating the tank for maximum effectiveness... :rolleyes: ) I would also remove any fish and inverts from the tank during treatment, although there are those that have done the product without this last step. Make sure to have plenty of containers for a big water change (90%) and have the seawater ready for this process, as well as a ton of GAC (see treatment protocols).

Good luck, now that you've had flatworms, you're a REAL REEFER... :nuts:

"Don't be waitin' for the shrimpboat, Honey, I'm coming home with the crabs!"

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I would also remove any fish and inverts from the tank during treatment, although there are those that have done the product without this last step.
the only animals that *I* have observed to be affected by flatworm exit are cerith snails. they get knocked out for a while. but they bounce back after a water change or two... three... :)

J.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i had flat worlms from a pectinia i purchased, i found out a while later that the undersides were covered, i pulled it out and treated it seperate than the tank then treated the tank, only had a couple in it. have not seen any lately.

good luck

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I havent noticed any flatworms in my tank just In the refugium & a few in my frag tank on the glass not any problems yet on the corals(sps)

ok what is step one/ buy flat worm exit from salifert?

I can not remove any fish its impossible to catch them.

any recomendations on the amount I should use for about 275 gallons of water??

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
ead this entire thread and links involved, I will get home late tonight and see what I have at home on file for dosing reommendations.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16537

You're lucky to catch this early on, if you don't see but an occaional specimen, treatment is not nearly so hard on the system's occupants.

Didn't we talk about doing quarantine??? :nuts:

...you can smack me later...

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do quarantine everything with Iodine & a few other things? Im not sure how they arrived?

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dip every coral & Im wondering If I got them from a friend that gave me some Cheato? I havent seen any In my main tank just the refugium & frag tank? Im going to dose but It scares me to death? I have had my fish now for almost 2 years?

·
Registered
839 Posts
You said you have only seen them in the fuge. But you said there are thousands. FW are toxic when they die in large quantities. Is it possible to isolate your fuge from the main......so water is not running through it during treatment.

Also, siphon out as many of the FW first before the treatment, to cut down on the numbers that will die in the tank.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts