The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Ok Ok, so I have posted earlier a thread about my Alk being 11.5. It still is last I check. I did a 2 gallon water change today for my weekly maintenance. I noticed though yesterday that my water went from crystal clear to slightly cloudy. I have complained about my duncan being shriveled 99% of the time. At night he seems to open up, HE'S HUGE! Well I just got home from work and my tank looks like I just added sand to it. The water is super murky. Tank has had livestock in it for about 3 weeks now I believe. Whats going on here? pH=7.8
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=0

Oh and I am using carbon filter media, filter sock and the standard protein skimmer... feeding frozen brine

·
Administrator
46,893 Posts
Did you not say in the alk post that you were getting some cloudy water? What did you do different?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
You started your tank on the 25th with dry rock and live sand, correct? Then added two fish on the 3rd and 3 corals sometime as well. Your tank is probably playing catch-up.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
You sure you had a full cycle? sounds like either a bacteria bloom, or an algae bloom of some kind. How long was the new water sitting before being used?

·
Administrator
46,893 Posts
You sure you had a full cycle? sounds like either a bacteria bloom, or an algae bloom of some kind. How long was the new water sitting before being used?
I always get the water right before I intend to mix it.
You are not really answering the question. Something has changed and we are playing detective trying to figure out what, since we are not there to see it in person

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tank is definitely fully cycled now if it wasn't before., I had an ammonia spike of 0.25 for about a week last week. All other nutrient levels remained at 0 the whole time. So i don't know what happened. From what every one says, during the cycle you see a ammonia spike, then a nitrite spike, then a nitrate spike. ammonia popped up and that was it. then vanished. no progressive dilution.

As for the water, I can't be more detailed than I get the water right before I mix it. There is no sitting time between getting the water and mixing it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh and the water has cleared up quite a bit over night I guess. there is still some smokey look but not nearly as bad as last night.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
question on the water timing, how long after you mix it, do you use it? If you din't see a spike in nitrites and nitrates, I would question your ammonia test results. At the end of the cycle, you should almost always see nitrates until they are removed by a water change...or until taken up by algae, etc, in which case you should see growth in algae. May have been an algae bloom taking up those nitrates...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I literally mix it, get the temperature right with the new water and the tank water then siphon out tank water, replace with the new water. it's usually a total of 30 minutes from mixing to adding to tank. I have never seen a nitrite spike and when the ammonia spike occurred I tested at least twice a day. Nitrites and Nitrates never went up.

This is what happened from tank start up to now. I cycled for about 2 weeks. ghost fed every day. (maybe missed 2 days cant remember completely) I had no filter sock so that all the food particles could continuously flow through the tank. i placed my first two fish (my only fish) 2 O. Clowns. Water had the same foggy look it has now. Fish were happy as can be. 1-1.5 week after having them, I notice the ammonia spike. Dosed with prime, stability, and used zeolite crystals. 12 gals worth of water changes in 3 days.. 2gal, 5gal, and then another 5 gal (I have a 20 gal tank w/ 10 gal sump). I never saw a decrease in ammonia, even right after a water change. Then I believe exactly 1 week later ammonia disappears. Now I have the foggy water again but it is cleared up quite a bit from last night.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh I have also not had any algae growth in my tank... I have slime coat from Prime.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can't see that the water is foggy because the computer camera I have is old and not of good quality. The camera on my phone isn't working otherwise I'd have a really good quality picture for you. But anyways this is what the tank looks like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I just don't think your tank was cycled, so you'll probably see a lot of wonky stuff happening. Things that usually happen during a cycle and in the beginning stages of a tank my be out of whack from how they usually are. Dry rock and ghost feeding is a fine way to start a tank, it just takes patience - about 8 weeks before it's ready for livestock. It could be that you're not seeing any nitrites or nitrates because your nitrogen cycle hasn't fully formed. Then add in the prime and the other additives into the equation, I'm not sure what effect that would cause - could delay things, or cause them to happen differently or out of order.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
I am inclined to agree with ChiWing. If you had some ammonia, but it didn't go down when you did a water change, chances are the test kit is off, which is pretty common for ammonia at the lower levels. If you don't have algae growing and no noticeable nitrates at all, then I am going to say your probably haven't fully cycled yet. Adding things to speed up the cycle, etc can often cause more issues. Best to let things go through naturally and wait it out. Hopefully, the fish is ok long term.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts