The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Just curious as to what people here have as their reef's gallon per hour flow compared to their tank volume? I had always heard that 10 times the volume of your tank per hour was good. But, I have read some posts where the tank turn over was 33 times the tank volume!
My tank has roughly 3100 gph or 17.5 times tank volume per hour. 2000 gallons per hour from my returns and the rest from powerheads inside the tank in the bottom back and front corners facing in. My tank is primarily soft corals so I would guess this is enough, but I have seen reefs with what appears to be much more current flow and they just seem more appealing or 'alive' so to speak. I seem to have good movement to all corals that need it, but I guess I could enjoy a little more movement.
So, I am considering buying larger pumps to increase the return volume, say up to 3000 gph and larger powerheads internally to increase to approx. 1000 gph.
What do you think? Should I leave well enough alone? What do you have in your reef?
Thanks for the input.
Sean

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
my 55 curently has :

return pump 750gph
two powerheads with 250gph each

for a grand total of 1250gph or 22X turnover.

my 75 when finished will have:

return pump @ 950 gph
cls pump 1 @ 1500 gph
cls pump 2 @ 3600 gph

for a grand total of 6050gph or 80X turnover..

granted, there will be some head loss in all three pumps though. so it might be more like 40x or 50x turnover. :rolleyes: :D

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
sean said:
Hello All,
Just curious as to what people here have as their reef's gallon per hour flow ... ... I am considering buying larger pumps to increase the return volume, say up to 3000 gph and larger powerheads internally to increase to approx. 1000 gph.
Think biotope and how would you mimic that biotope each coral comes from. By keeping this in mind, you will not overkill with current. In most lagoons, the water is realtively slow when compared to reeftop of reef flat areas. If you are considering mimicing a reef top biotope and collecting specimens to populate your tank from that environment, then more flow would definitely be in demand. However, if you want to maintain your lagoonal biotope and the creatures you already have, you may even want to consider cutting back a bit in your tank. Some intertidal lagoonal areas do experience strong laminar currents at tide changes, but most of these biotopes have relatively slow, laminar "block" flow through the system, changing twice a day in terms of direction and flow.

JMO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.