The Reef Tank banner

What is your current groove?

64K views 1K replies 7 participants last post by  Doug1 
#1 ·
OK. I figured out what M'ville was. I heard the cool kids talking about it in the school yard and had to find out for myself.

I am a huge music fan and always on the look out for artists new to me or songs I forgot about. Let me know what you are listening to! There are some awesome characters on here so I figure the music is gonna be killer.

These pumped through the headphones this afternoon:

#812 ·
From Sunset Blvd. records
Glasses Newspaper Publication News Sleeve

For Jethro Tull Fans Only!
Thick As A Brick is back out on vinyl - first time in 35 years (with original packaging). The original packaging, designed like a newspaper, claims the album to be a musical adaptation of an epic poem by fictional eight-year-old genius Gerald Bostock, though the lyrics were actually written by the band's frontman, Ian Anderson.
The original LP cover was designed as a spoof of a 12-by-16-inch (300 mm × 410 mm) 12-page small-town English newspaper, entitled The St. Cleve Chronicle and Linwell Advertiser, with articles, competitions and advertisements lampooning the typical parochial and amateurish journalism of the local English press. The band's record company, Chrysalis Records, complained that the sleeve would be too expensive to produce, but Anderson countered that if a real newspaper could be produced, a parody of one would also be practical.

The mock newspaper, dated 7 January 1972, also includes the entire lyrics to "Thick as a Brick" (printed on page 7), which is presented as a poem written by Bostock, whose disqualification from a poetry contest is the focus of the front-page story. This article claims that although Bostock initially won the contest, the judges' decision was repealed after protests and threats concerning the offensive nature of the poem, along with the boy's suspected psychological instability. The front cover includes a piece where Bostock is accused without foundation of being the father of his 14-year-old friend Julia's child. The inside of the paper features a mock review by "Julian Stone-Mason BA", a pseudonym of Anderson.

The contents of the newspaper were written mostly by Anderson, bassist Jeffrey Hammond and keyboardist John Evan. While some of the pieces were obviously silly, such as "Magistrate Fines himself", there was a lengthy story entitled "Do Not See Me Rabbit" about a pilot in the Battle of Britain being shot down by a Messerschmitt Bf 109. The overall layout was designed by Chrysalis' Roy Eldridge, who had previously worked as a journalist.] Most of the characters in the newspaper were members of the band, their management, road crew, or colleagues; for instance, recording engineer Robin Black played a local roller-skating champion. Anderson recalls that the cover took longer to produce than the music.