The Reef Tank banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
We didn’t see much in the way of concerts when I was a young fella. Anyone of any fame played Toronto an hour away so there was nothing to drop in at locally.

Q107 used to have a big event every summer called Psychedlic Sunday. I went every time. Never saw the Chambers Brothers I don’t think but Strawberry Alarm Clock, The Turtles, Canned Heat, Guess Who and BTO were almost always there. Steppenwolf blew my mind. John Kay speaks with the diction of an English professor and looked like I imagine he did in the day. Rode a bike on stage in black leathers while the intro to Magic Carpet ride played then the bomb was dropped and they blew us back into the weeds for 2 hours. He puts on a hell of a show.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Steppenwolf.
Had tickets to one of their concerts but ended up having to work.
After the concert they came in the restaurant where I working. Didn't get to hear but got to meet them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I have drifted into classic metal today. Motörhead, Iron Maiden, etc. Are there any old metal fans in here?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I’m not a metal head by any means but do like the harder stuff. Angry music. On a bad day I’ll start there & work my way back to classic rock. Puts my head back where it needs to be.
Rage against the Machine and the like is where I usually start.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Patsy Cline has an amazing voice. My grandfather was Johnny Cash and Chet Atkins. Love those too.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
This is no nod to the game, only holding the song up.
Very few 'remakes' I enjoy as much as the original, or the version I grew up with......SORRY John, I love you dearly, BUT this version just has soooooo much depth to look inside of.

As far as I know, no one as of yet has ever been able to identify the voice behind this hidden gem.
I started a contest around this area NAME THE UNKNOWN ARTIST......sorry, Chloe hit send.
I chose Danny Glover. Thoughts....or better yet FACTS"
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
'Guess' or FACT?
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
Gotta look this chap up, and hear him...
Hack
recent years has been the version produced in conjunction with Bethesda Studio’s 2018 video game Fallout 76, set in West Virginia. Although Bethesda’s YouTube channel offers little clue about who performs the song, Fallout 76’s creators announced it was the work of Spank, a men’s vocal group specializing in Classic R&B and doo-wop based in New York City.

As Scout Ford, the member of the group who sang lead on “Country Roads,” explained in an interview with expatalachians, Spank got the recording contract through a happy coincidence. “We were doing a birthday for a one-year-old child that the parents set up, and through that we got into contact with a producer who wanted us to record the song for Fallout 76,” he said.
According to Ford, the recording process for the song was fairly involved, with Fallout 76’s creators sending guidance on the specific harmonies they were looking for in the song and Spank giving several recordings to the game makers. “We did it according to what the client wanted, but we were able to layer the harmonies with our own sound,” Ford said.
When asked which if any of the hundred versions of “Country Roads” inspired his take on the song, Ford was resolute. “When I listened to it, I heard John Denver,” he said. “It was a great song, it was sung well, and people can feel it. It’s like classical music. People feel it even when they can’t understand it,” Ford said.
Through countless adaptations, the enduring success of “Country Roads” seems to lie in its transcendent ability to evoke feelings of home and belonging. Whether one is from Tucker County or Tokyo, the song’s simple refrain to “take me home, to the place I belong” is something with which we can all identify.

Well done Vinnie.....THANK YOU!
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
Jen n I love this group, as well as their women 'conterparts' Celtic Women.
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
In honor of our summer slipping quickly by.....
Hack

101 - 120 of 128 Posts