The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Let me first start off by saying that I do not know much at all about saltwater and reef tanks, lol. I'm still learning.

I work at an aquarium store, and I scrub the fish tanks and gravelvscuum and medicate and blah blah blah.

I've been having some issues with red algae, but two weeks ago I saw strings of eggs in some of the tanks, which I'm sure were snails.
The thing that I dont know is right around the same time that the snails boomed I starting seeing these little things on the rocks in the tanks. Little tubes with fuzzy tops. I've taken pictures - but my phone is having trouble uploading them. I'll post them once I get home. The largest one is maybe half an inch long.
I'd like to know of anyone can tell me what it is, and whether or not it is harmful?
Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I suppose it could be baby Feather Dusters or Aiptasia? Difficult without the pic. One way to tell is if the fuzzy top sucks in when you brush by it, it's likely a Duster.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Welcome to TRT! I agree. If the tubes are Hard, most likely feather dusters. Good hitchhikers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I'll get the picture up tonight I completely forgot yesterday.

I was thinking maybe feather duster because I saw a teeeennnnyyy one actually opening up on a snail shell before this random outbreak. These look slightly different but could be maybe lol.
Promise I'll get the pick up this evening!:agree:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'll get the picture up tonight I completely forgot yesterday.

I was thinking maybe feather duster because I saw a teeeennnnyyy one actually opening up on a snail shell before this random outbreak. These look slightly different but could be maybe lol.
Promise I'll get the pick up this evening!:agree:

Holding you to it. Curiosity is running wild!!:icon_rock:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anybody have any idea?
And no, they're not hard. They're kinda squishy, lol

I was looking through the list that is listed in the sticky... And they actually look like the Pineapple Sponge to me, [just with stupid cyanobacteria on them]
Do you think that could be it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ynot65 thanks for the link , my big pieces of live rock are covered underneath with those. I'm glad the description states , " indicates a healthy system".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts