The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, ive been reading alot here over the last few months, but i haven't had to post yet (search is a much wonderful thing!) but can anyone tell me what this thing is ? it has been climbing up my back wall, then fell down, now is climbing again. Thanks so much for all the information so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Those look like discoid foraminiferans...
(inside that calcareous shell is an amoeba-like resident).

Another familiar foram that moves about looks like a light pink blob with spokes (sort of like a wagon wheel sans the wheel tread)

I never really got to find the names to them, as most foram experts tend to study extinct fossils...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
:)

Great, one of the links on that article led me to a photograph that might constitute a tentative (read: relatively wild-guess sort of) ID on the foram.

Marginapora

And, while we're at it, chitons are higher up the evolutionary ladder than crude forams. Chitons are gastropod molluscs, just like snails and slugs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep thats what it looks like to me. just another hitchiker. now i have to wait untill Friday to move my tank back. had a water line leak destroying abuch of drywall and carpet pad. moving stuff is a pain!! oh well such is life! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.