The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this little bugger in my tank after rearanging live rock, This rock has been in my tank for over 2 years, but facing Down or to the back of tank. This guy is hardly visble durring the day, but an hour or so after light go out. (and it's COMPLETLY DARK) will he open up. I'm not sure what it is, It looks like some weird mutated anenome to me. But havnt' a clue. It acts exactaly opposite as anything else in my tank, it opens at night, everything else closes.

harmfull? benificial? netral?

I mean besides the fact it's ugly. It has not seamed to do anything bad.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks kinda like a tubastrea type o' coral, but without all the groovy oranges. My guess is that it's completely benign, as you've had it two years without any problems. If it starts to spread like wildfire and sting everything in sight, I will retract that statement. Innaresting!

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Ok...you say it looks like an anenome? How big is it? If it has tentacles (like an anenome), but are translucent, and has little white or orange balls at the end... it is called a white-ball anenome. A Pseudocornyactics. It is in the mushroom family and not really an anenome. I have a few on my LR. They do like to open at night. I can't tell in your pic if it has these little balls or not. But, hope this helps. I am trying to get a good pic of mine to post soon. I am told that they are not harmful.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Jeremy,

I think I have the same thing, the main base is translucent, with many, many translucent tentacles, with white balls on the ends. It opens at night also to feed I think......

When it opens, the tube comes out of the rock about a half of an inch, however the tentacles seem to be out all the time......during the day, the tentacles are laying flat against the rock. At night they spread out away from the rock.

I cannot get a good pic of it either, it is on a base rock that cannot be moved.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.