The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See pictures below.

I first saw this invertabrate (slug?) about two weeks ago. We had just added about 6 lb of LR and two new corals from a local shop. I had not seen it before. It is white, only comes out at night, and is very fast when the light is turned on. Below are the only pictures that I have been able to get. Any information would be appreciated. Is it something that I need to be worried about with the corals?

Attachments

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Looks like a chiton (or something like it), I can't remember it's actual name. Jenn helped me look one up after we found a few hitchikers on some rock. I think it is harmless, and looks like it is snacking on coralline algae.

Ray

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think that it is a chiton. I looked at some pictures on the web, but none of them look like our little guy. The web sites said that they have 8 plates running along the back, but this animal looks like a white slug with just a small hard, white plate in the middle of it's back and a set of antennae and long mouth like a turbo snail. Sorry I couldn't get a better picture, my digital camera just doesn't like to take pictures in the tank.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looks like a stomatella snail.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Stomatella are good snails to have. They are algae eaters ad reproduce very readily providing planktonic food for the fish and corals. My clowns go nuts when my stomatella spawn.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I concur with Mantis and others - Stomatella sp. of some kind. I've got a few that hitchiked in, in my system - love them!

Jenn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts